Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its early but, I have to get a start on scuds for spinney. I have never tied flies before and have never been to Spinney during ice out. So Does any one have a certain scud that works well at ice out. I cant wait!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If you've never tied before I would say just go ahead and by your scuds. They aren't amazingly difficult to tie but they can be a bit frustrating compared to your basic thread midges which is what I would drop behind a scud during iceout. I'm not sure what you're refering to as spiney...the reservoir or the dream stream which is often called spiney. Either way, I would go with scuds in olive, tan or orange. Scuds tend to turn orange when they die and when they get caried down stream they tend to stick out rather well to a feeding trout. The scud is my favorite point fly when split/indicator fishing the dream stream.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've always done well with the orange scud, they stand out and work well on the stream as well as the resevoir- they aren't that hard to tie- practice makes perfect, just like anything else. I'll let you in on little tying secret- I use the UV knot sense as the back instead of epoxy or flash skin- I just dab a little on the back and let it settle to were I like it, and hit it with a little UV light, it sets instantly. They seem to hold up as well as anything else. goodluck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts