Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went To Spinney On Sunday, around 8:00am. Fished off a boat using dick nites and weighted lead core line. Caught 4 fat rainbows all about 17 inches in the first hour of fishing . Slowed down a bit until we found a good hole and caught 3 more bows around the same size as the first. Then BAAAM! I caught one of the biggest brown trout I have ever landed a 22 incher see pictures below. Overall in 4 hours of trolling (my first time trolling and first time using bait caster rod / reel by the way) we caught a total of 10 fish 9 rainbows and 1 brown. I also had heard a story about a guy pulling out a 15 lb 34 inch Cutbow out of Spinney last week on a black marabou jig. Man that would have been nice but I was happy to get out there and caught a great load of fish especially that "Big Brown".

TH

First Glimpse OF The Big Brown:

The Big Brown Splashing Us In The Boat Defiantly:

The Big Brown Gently Being Released:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TL,

At first I had to try to get the hang about how not to make bird nests when letting out line....but after about 30 minutes and a couple of fish it was good just like any other reel. For trolling I can see why baitcasters are the preferred way to go very easy and can watch the lead core colored line to see how far down you can go. TL (or anyone) since you use baitcasters quite often what benifits do they have over spin or closed face reels? Or for those who do not like baitcaster reels...why not?

TH

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Nice Fish! what really impresses me is how you managed to bring it in and take pictures at the same time!

;)

Dan

·
Registered
636 Posts
Sounds like you had a blast. Man you really fish everywhere don't you? I've really wanted to try Spinney and Elevenmile this year but just haven't had the time.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan....It helps having a 3rd arm.....

I lived near Rocky Flats as a child for along time and that glowing green tap water we were drinking, I found out later in life, was not really kool aid   :eek:   

j/k  ;D ;

or it could have been the other guy in the boat.  ::) 

TH

Dan by the way did you catch any pf your usual Chatfield whopper's? I was betting on you to get one again ;)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got Muskie...

If you get a chance to go up for the day we can meet up and I can show you some spots that I have had some sucess at this year...Let me know.

TH

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Nope sorry to disappoint you but I have a bad case of the skunks right now.  The best I could do was one smallie yesterday, just under keeper size.  If you check the pics from the get together you will see the fish I was hoping for,  Afishman got to it before I could! :)

Dan

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I saw it on that thread... but wasn't that one afisherman caught waaay over your Chatfield slot limit? ;)

All jokes aside...must be nice to be so close to a great fishery like Chatfield (10 minutes to be at the lake and just 10 more to get the boat in) Chatfield has an inlet stream...rainbows...browns in the lake walleyes, smallies, cats etc...Just those speed racers to deal with...and I also like the scenary...

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Yes I saw it on that thread... but wasn't that one afisherman caught waaay over your Chatfield slot limit?

Ouch! That one hurt! :)
I think I need to change my name to Rodney Dangerfield............

Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
TH,

Nice fish and good job taking photos.

About baitcasters, as of a couple of years ago I am using them almost exclusively. I keep my thumb on the spool at all times when letting out line while trolling -- if you don't like this method then you can use the drag instead. The advantages I've seen are 1) you can cast with pinpoint accurancy once you get the hang of it since you use your thumb to slow the line down in addition to using your arm in casting, 2) much stronger leverage when fighting fish due to the design of the reel and reeling mechanism compared to spinning reels and 3) I can cast farther with a baitcaster than a spinning reel. Of course the big disadvantage is the rat's nest (which only gets better -- I get one about every 20 casts nowadays which is better than before ;)). Have you played with the little brake pins that are inside these new reels? In my experience they do help that problem somewhat, but you just have to remember to keep you thumb in place and the freespool drag setting appropriate for the lure you are casting.

So, that's my $.02 on them, fwiw.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for that info work2fish...good to know other uses for baitcasters too. I rely think that they are great to use and when on a boat trolling I will use again ... on the baitcasters we used while trolling the fish all basically hooked themselves and just started peeling off the line....

TH

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GotMuskie,

Another thing if you really want catch Pike at Spinney or 11mile ask NealCO. He is the real Pike expert in those parts per this forum.

TH

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hey, trout hunter... Nice brownie. I was there last weekend too, we took the boat out to the railroad by the inlet, caught a nice rainbow 19 in. Saturday was cold and cloudy but Sunday clouds cleared up and the may flies started hatching at about 8:30 til 10:00. Fish were surfacing all over the lake, it was a great time. I will be back! Where are the pike, though???? Anybody know???

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was there Sunday also, I only caught pike, I was asking Where the trout were? Caught all the pike by the inlet, or should I say the weedlet.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Nice job TroutHunter!...should of let me know you were going and I would of gotten you some scuds and bobber...errrrrr strike indicator...

Spinney can be one of the most fickle ladies...

·
Registered
17 Posts
ZMAN, how right you are. I was up there last Thurs. and caught a 19" and a 18" bow on a Blue wing olive and thought it was the cash cow. Went up yesterday (18th) and didn't get one hit on that fly. Went to a Hares Ear late in the day and got a 16" Bow.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think this is about the toughest month to fish Spinney, way too much moss, although this year with all the small fish your bound to hook a few.

F

·
0 Posts
how do all you guys get to spinney from denver...i went a couple of years back i25 into the springs then highway 24 i think it was ...it seemed like it took 3 hours ...then got out of the truck got a windburn and a skunk...the wind was blowing so bad my girlfriend wouldnt even get out of the truck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts