Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finnaly got my leave submitted, and this weekend I will be fly fishing spinney mountain on Saturday for the first time in my life...sooo someone please tell me how it has been lately or tips or anything (I'm excited sorry Lol).

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I got skunked this weekend but that doesn't mean anything. I wouldn't hesitate to go back. I actually might be there Saturday. Thinking spinney or the blue so we'll see. Do you have a float tube or anything?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
skunked at Spinney? How?

Go to the windward side, fish a tube.

Or, if you are a fag, a Rogue with three treble hooks.

Just kidding, you really need four trebles if you expect to catch anything.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's rough man... but yeah I'm still going no matter what, and I have a float tube that I will be using. what did you use for fly's?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
that's rough man... but yeah I'm still going no matter what, and I have a float tube that I will be using. what did you use for fly's?
Not really. It happens. It was the first time getting skunked from a tube there. Normally it kicks ass. It can be rough from shore though so a tube is the way to go. I just went to the canyon and slaughtered em in there. The basics usually work. Chironomids in different colors, copper johns in different colors, prince nymphs, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How will you fish? Boat? Pontoon? Just saw float tube. I have my spots, but you'd probably need a boat. I found the shallows to be pretty good the last 3 weekends. I agree with Copper Johns and Prince Nymphs. Don't be afraid to strip streamers. Dries worked well when they're REALLY rising.

If you're fishing midweek, the Dream Stream is worh a shot. Not quite at peak, but try to chase some big browns one evening, just remember the gate closes 30 minutes after sundown if you come in from the Spinney side.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how is everyone setting up there lines...as far as the double nypmh rig and all that and what about retrieve?? also what time should I be fishing for what since my goal is trout and Pike?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
how is everyone setting up there lines...as far as the double nypmh rig and all that and what about retrieve?? also what time should I be fishing for what since my goal is trout and Pike?
I'll have a roughly 13-14ft piece of just regular 10lb mono. Then I'll slide a slip indicator on (they sell them at the spinney general store,trust me you'll want some type of sliding indicator) and then I'll tie on a couple feet of 3x flouro and attach my first fly. Then I'll do a couple more feet of 3x flouro and attach a second. Sometimes I'll do another piece of 3x and attach a third fly. Usually I'll just suspend the flies and let em hang. Once in a while I'll pull the rig a few feet and then let the flies settle back down. Or just do a little twitch every couple minutes. It's a long rig but it allows me to fish all depths.(up to 20ft at spinney) You can simply adjust the indicator to adjust depth. When you get out there, you'll want your bottom fly a foot off the bottom. You can hook a pair of hemostats to your bottom fly and lower it down to see how deep it is and then adjust your bobber accordingly. You may also want to try some dries or whatever depending on what's going on. Also like other guy said, streamers can be very productive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've found more success in the afternoon/evening. Slower in the morning (8-10 am). 2-3 nymph rigs. Bottom fly 0-.5 ft from bottom, 3-6 FOW. Nymphing got boring though, I switched to streamer on a sink tip with the same water with same success, wife kept doing well on the nymph rigs. Dries were the best but the environment had to be ideal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so looks like there's a lot of factors then...I'll probly be asking the herd out there for tips. I'm guessing no pike on the fly?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
so looks like there's a lot of factors then...I'll probly be asking the herd out there for tips probably. I'm guessing no pike on the fly?
Pike will hit flies. Sometimes they'll hit trout flies. If you really want pike, fish streamers .There can be a lot of factors but what do what I said and try it in different depths. It's not too complicated and that's pretty much how everyone does it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts