Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fished spinney from 8-1130 today. It was a good day. I caught a handful of bows and my first spinney brown. All the bows were caught on a sz14 tungsten beadheaded white chiro with red wire that I call the candy cane. It's my go to nymph. Caught the brown on a black w silver wire tungsten chiro. There were a lot of people there and I didn't really see many catch. It seemed like a tough day for most. I've been doing a lot better at spinney since one of the guys showed me the hemostat trick to get my depth right. It seems like common sense now especially since I do the same kind of thing ice fishing. No pike this time. Saw a couple tornadoes and got a few pics and videos. Check them out!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This.

Also, craziness on those tornados!
Well it's a more precise way of setting your indicator for proper depth. Ideally with an indicator rig you'll want your bottom fly a foot(or so)off the bottom.(in stillwater).to start you clamp a hemostat on your bottom fly and drop it to the bottom. Make sure your leader straight up and down and your hemostat is lying flat on the bottom. Hold your leader where it hits the surface and then move your indicator 12 inches below that so you know you're spaced exactly 12in off the bottom. It's easy to guess where you need to be at in shallow water but at spinney in a float tube well fish up to like twenty feet so the more exact you are the better. It definitely helps to have slip indicators in that situation. I like the really simple ones they sell at the spinney chaparral general store. They're basically just a styrofoam ball and a stopper.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I too use slip bobbers. Using two rods as I normally do I always start with one 6" to 12" off the bottom and the second about 3' below the surface. I change the bobbers by about 1' each 5 casts until I find the best depth for bites. Surprisingly, some days both the high and low get bites, other days the fish seem to want it at a specific range. A foot or two, one way or the other can be the difference between catching and fishing.
Much the same as my lure fishing, a bug gets 5 casts.......no bites and I change the bug. May not work for everyone but if what I'm doing isn't working I keep changing out until they bite or just go home and drink some bourbon!
Bill

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I too use slip bobbers. Using two rods as I normally do I always start with one 6" to 12" off the bottom and the second about 3' below the surface. I change the bobbers by about 1' each 5 casts until I find the best depth for bites. Surprisingly, some days both the high and low get bites, other days the fish seem to want it at a specific range. A foot or two, one way or the other can be the difference between catching and fishing.
Much the same as my lure fishing, a bug gets 5 casts.......no bites and I change the bug. May not work for everyone but if what I'm doing isn't working I keep changing out until they bite or just go home and drink some bourbon!
Bill
Can't that get dangerous at times? I guess unless you have rod holders. The fish seem to know when the rod is in my hands. There were a few times where id go without a bite for a half hour and set my rod down for a minute to pull out a new fly or something. And within that minute, my rod would almost go for a swim. I was lucky enough to grab it before it went it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts