Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I fhed Spinney today, and I don't even wanna talk about the fishing. I will say between three of us we got two pike (below 17 inches), two rainbows (mine a 19 incher and the other guy's a 19 1/2 incher), and something huge that got off after pulling a billion yards of drag from my friend. Not bad, but we were there 8 fricking hours!

Anyway, we saw these three fish cruising along the dam with white patches all over them. I have seen this before in the S. Platte around Deckers, but never in lakes. The white patches are all over the fish and one fish was missing both eyes. I have heard this is sometimes caused when people don't wet their hands before handling the trout, which takes the slime off the fish and makes it prone to bacteria and such. Can anyone tell me in more detail what this is and what causes it?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I used to see this alot at the Q. I think those are scares from an attack. In your case a trout escaped the jaws of a pike. At the Q it was muskie.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, but its not jujst scars, its white gross patches that spread all over the fish, and there are no pike or tigers in deckers

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Anyway, we saw these three fish cruising along the dam with white patches all over them.
It happens a lot in the spring and fall...fungal infections on trout stressed out from over handling/improper handling coupled with energy used/stress from spawning weaken fish and the succumb to fungal infections...I have seen ones that were almost pure fuzzy white except for the head from fungus swimming along the dam at Spinney...

·
Registered
391 Posts
I saw a bunch of 20-22" bows with this fungus about three years ago at Spinney.Definatly not from pike attacks.It was strange because it was all the same class(size)of fish.I even saw a couple dead on the shore.What a bummer to see a big trout die from that.I also fished Spinney yesterday and only caught two trout.Seems to be my luck right now that every where i go i only catch two fish.Think i'll hit Willow creek and Granby tommorow and see if i can improve the catch rate!

lyn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts