1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spinney, open-water updated

By Charlie Meyers
Denver Post Outdoor Editor

If you are stringing up your rod in anticipation of a weekend opening of Spinney Mountain Reservoir, Kevin Tobey has a word of caution: Not so fast.

"We don't know for sure," the manager of Elevenmile and Spinney state parks said after a Tuesday morning tour of the lake. "There's still a 70 percent ice cover, and if I say we'll open Saturday, then the ice sheet might shift and move in against the dam."

Tobey said a general upslope wind flow over the past few days has pushed the ice away from the dam area popular with fishermen. A strong wind shift from the west could foil the opener, Tobey fears.

Tobey said much of the ice, while candled and rotten, remains 8 inches deep, unyielding even when he and his crew jumped on it. Failing a Saturday opener, next Wednesday shapes up as a probable default date.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What can I say...they're kissing cousins to another reservoir I cannot name...

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Frankly that Saturday opening sounds like a zoo :(  A thousand people (half of which fish several times a year) fighting over 30% of the available shoreline. Over the years I have watched people fight for spots, snag more fish than are actually caught, etc.

I love Spinney! But I think I will let the circus leave town first, LOL. In October and November I had the place almost to myself! Once warm water fishing pops, Spinney will go back to more manageable pressure. Good luck to anyone does go! I am sure you will still catch some nice fish :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
  Weather says 52 degrees the next 2 days and a little wind should take those last 8 inches off by friday. Forcast calls for Snow on Saturday looks like a typical Spinney opener 40MPH and sideways snow and Big Bows pealing line. Ok I best tie a little more in the vise I'm ready for Spinney.

Fish

·
Registered
193 Posts
You know I have fished the opener for maybe 10 years now and every year the crowds get less and less I haven't ever seen a battle for a spot now there is this dude he must be about 125 years old looks like he's been in the wind for 50 of those years. I call this guy the doctor because if you ever watch him he doctors up his flies with some sort of juice. The guy catches a ton of fish but its like watching a pitcher throwing a spitter. i don't even know if thats legal there but he's always there.

Fish

·
Banned
487 Posts
zman said:
Spinney, open-water updated

By Charlie Meyers
Denver Post Outdoor Editor

If you are stringing up your rod in anticipation of a weekend opening of Spinney Mountain Reservoir, Kevin Tobey has a word of caution: Not so fast.

"We don't know for sure," the manager of Elevenmile and Spinney state parks said after a Tuesday morning tour of the lake. "There's still a 70 percent ice cover, and if I say we'll open Saturday, then the ice sheet might shift and move in against the dam."

Tobey said a general upslope wind flow over the past few days has pushed the ice away from the dam area popular with fishermen. A strong wind shift from the west could foil the opener, Tobey fears.

Tobey said much of the ice, while candled and rotten, remains 8 inches deep, unyielding even when he and his crew jumped on it. Failing a Saturday opener, next Wednesday shapes up as a probable default date.

I thought spinney was supposedly "unsafe" to walk on because of minor "water level flucuations" hence why these morons ban ice fishing on public property.
This shows how ridiculous the state of access in Colorado is. Spinney and every lake in CO should be open to ice fishing. The so called liability for municipally owned lakes does not exist because most cities are immune from such lawsuits, and no such lawsuit has ever been successful in this state.
I support opening spinney and all "ice fishing prohibited" lakes in CO to ice fishing. We have a right to take care of ourselves and live our lives without petty town bullycrats telling us how to live our lives. "Ice fishing prohibited, or body contact and wading prohibited" are pretty unique regulations that are most prevalent in CO because of the environmentalist and liberal members or water utility departments and city governments. I for one am no longer tolerating it.

·
Banned
487 Posts
EyeGuy said:
YOU GO, Iceintheveins!

I'm WITH YOU!
Well the key to winning these battles is getting a petition going in the appropriate jurisdiction. Since Spinney is operated by the "City" Of Aurora, you would petition the residents of Aurora. Once you collect a certain number of signatures, you can place the measure directly on the ballot.
There is nothing they can do because this is your right as a citizen. And if it passes, which is almost a sure thing, there is nothing they can do unless they can prove the newly passed law is unconstitutional or violates higher state or federal law, which it clearly does not.
This is the way to opening every single publicly owned lake in Colorado to ice fishing, non motorized boating, or access period in the case of the Colorado Springs Reservoirs. We can really open up all of them because they are city owned and thus owned by the public.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts