Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never fished at Spinney, so my dad, my friend, and I are going down there Saturday. Our plan is to fly fish and spinner fish the lake for primarily trout. I would like to try for a few pike. Then we are going to fly fish the river.

We have no experience here, so if any of you have information as far as lures, flies, locations, or any other helpful tips, I would appreciate the advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
Stop by Chaparal park, they can give you a current report. With as many fish that are swimming around Spinney these days you can't go wrong. As for the river I would imagine its almost too low for spinners, but maybe worth a look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
I you have access to a boat or float tube, get some
2 inch tube jigs from Sportsman's in watermelon or crawdad color. Use a 1/16 oz. jig head and drop them down in the weed pockets. Use 4 lb test line and make sure your reel has a good drag system. Pike will hit them too.
Hammer
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,399 Posts
Hammer said:
I you have access to a boat or float tube, get some
2 inch tube jigs from Sportsman's in watermelon or crawdad color. Use a 1/16 oz. jig head and drop them down in the weed pockets. Use 4 lb test line and make sure your reel has a good drag system. Pike will hit them too.
Hammer
Use them now cause next year you wont be able to.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
487 Posts
ePiC said:
Hammer said:
I you have access to a boat or float tube, get some
2 inch tube jigs from Sportsman's in watermelon or crawdad color. Use a 1/16 oz. jig head and drop them down in the weed pockets. Use 4 lb test line and make sure your reel has a good drag system. Pike will hit them too.
Hammer
Use them now cause next year you wont be able to.
Did they pass that new regulation? If so the comission is getting sued and we will fight for their removal?
As for not using those tubes, I think we should just start massively protesting this and start using them ANYWAY. Civil Disobedience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
ther is nothing civil about intentionaly breaking the law! working to change it is civil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,589 Posts
I dont know what the big deal is...I caught trout (big trout) on unscented tubes/twister tails at Spinney before they were scented and I will again...I actually like that I will be able to use the small ones again...I believe they are removing the 1.5 inch restriction...I do think it will be an enforcement nightmare...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
unfortunately when they have trouble enforcing the scented thing they will probly just relable all soft plastics as bait. old ice will probly have a heart attack if they do along with many others but i do for see that
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,229 Posts
roadkill said:
ther is nothing civil about intentionaly breaking the law! working to change it is civil
Roadkill you are so right. Breaking a law and labeling it as "Civil Disobedience" is nothing more than trying to whitewash illegal activity.

Any way you look at it, it is the one thing, breaking the law.

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,542 Posts
The lure I use 90% of the time at Spinney is a 3" Vibra Fin leech. It is also unscented. I do like the 3" Berkley Power Craws which are scented, but i am sure they would work without it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
487 Posts
Dan said:
roadkill said:
ther is nothing civil about intentionaly breaking the law! working to change it is civil
Roadkill you are so right.  Breaking a law and labeling it as "Civil Disobedience" is nothing more than trying to whitewash illegal activity.

Any way you look at it, it is the one thing, breaking the law.

Dan
I disagree with you on this one. If this law passes it is too flagrant of a violation.

I am tired of the direction that the wildlife comission and CDOW is going in. I am not going to quit until these people are removed from power.

I am not saying that using scented plastics is comparable to Rosa Parks or Mahatma Ghandi, but when it comes to this, having a bunch of people not obeying it will be good.

Remember, just because something is illegal doesn't mean its wrong. And just because something is legal doesn't mean its right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,755 Posts
I take it we are all done talking about Spinney... :)

I have very little interest in scented plastics, always did fine with them without scent, as I always fished them as sight lures anyway. If the scents were gone, I for one would not miss them. I think the silly discrimination against them is unenforceable, though.

Do you suppose the tackle stores will keep right on selling scented plastics in Colorado, or will they put pressure on the manufacturers to provide unscented versions? My guess is that the tackle stores will act as though they are completely clueless, and keep right on selling the forbidden baits. After all, there are plenty of Colorado waters where they're not forbidden...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
487 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
I take it we are all done talking about Spinney...   :)

I have very little interest in scented plastics, always did fine with them without scent, as I always fished them as sight lures anyway. If the scents were gone, I for one would not miss them. I think the silly discrimination against them is unenforceable, though.

Do you suppose the tackle stores will keep right on selling scented plastics in Colorado, or will they put pressure on the manufacturers to provide unscented versions?  My guess is that the tackle stores will act as though they are completely clueless, and keep right on selling the forbidden baits.  After all, there are plenty of Colorado waters where they're not forbidden...
I agree, its nothing but discrimination. I wish the majority was as vocal as TU and the other special interest groups. Then most of these problems wouldn't exist.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,755 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
I am not saying that using scented plastics is comparable to Rosa Parks or Mahatma Ghandi, but when it comes to this, having a bunch of people not obeying it will be good.
There speaks the voice of frustrated youth. Wrong decision. Ignore scented plastics. Concentrate on the real source of the problem.

Remember, just because something is illegal doesn't mean its wrong. And just because something is legal doesn't mean its right.
True. And also immaterial. If you go out and get busted because you feel strongly about an issue, you have just limited your effectiveness for making changes.

Hang in there. :)

W. E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
Do you suppose the tackle stores will keep right on selling scented plastics in Colorado, or will they put pressure on the manufacturers to provide unscented versions? My guess is that the tackle stores will act as though they are completely clueless, and keep right on selling the forbidden baits. After all, there are plenty of Colorado waters where they're not forbidden...
id like to see some numbers on what percent of fishing $ is spent on plastics to be used in artifical only waters VS plastics to be used in the rest of the state. for example if only 10% of the baits were being used in artifical only waters then the manufacturers may not do much about it but if 50% were then we might see a fair amount of new unscented plastics coming to the shelves


and ice
I disagree with you on this one. If this law passes it is too flagrant of a violation.
if it does PASS then obviously it had enough suport to pass and you had plenty of time to voice your opinion before it passed and either you didnt do your part or there is just not enough support for your view either way it seems to have passed and whinning and calling for revolt sounds like a sore loser rather than properly oranizing an atempt to make changes with in the law
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,229 Posts
Face it the big box stores will keep selling scented plastics. What they sell is mostly decided by the corporation with little concern for what local regulations are. (have you ever seen a deep sea fishing combination for sale in Colorado?)

As long as they make their profit they don"t care how you use the product. It is not their responsibility to to keep you from using a product illegally. The only responsibility they have is not to sell items that are forbidden for sale.

As to the question will they put pressure on manufacturers to develope and sell compliant lures. I doubt that. Unless it becomes a wide spread regulation most manufacturers will not spend the time and money for a small portion of the total population unless they decide it is cost effective and profitable for them.

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,797 Posts
yep unless the manufactures feel it in their deep pockets we likly wont see much difference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,755 Posts
roadkill said:
and ice
I disagree with you on this one. If this law passes it is too flagrant of a violation.
if it does PASS then obviously it had enough suport to pass and you had plenty of time to voice your opinion before it passed and either you didnt do your part or there is just not enough support for your view either way it seems to have passed and whinning and calling for revolt sounds like a sore loser rather than properly oranizing an atempt to make changes with in the law
Well, there are different ways of looking at that. True, the DOW makes decisions that subsequently carry the force of law. But the DOW is not the state legislature, and they do not pass laws. And the DOW is only presumed to represent the interests of the majority of the people, when in actual fact they do what they, personally, think is the best thing for the people. And that is where the disagreements come in. And somebody who disagrees cannot really be called a sore loser, because they were never in a contest that could be won or lost.

The DOW lets you speak up at meetings, but they never allow you to actually vote on anything, because they already know what's best for you, and they will do as they see fit, for your own good. And they have the power to do just exactly that. That's what some people find hard to swallow.

I can't say what's the best way to proceed, but whatever a successful plan is, it MUST take into account the fact that the DOW is not going away, and that any regulation changes put into force WILL be done by the DOW, because that is their area of work. I personally don't think the DOW is very good at what they are supposed to be doing, but maybe we should be thinking of ways to provide guidance, rather than starting a war with them.

W. E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,144 Posts
Dan said:
Face it the big box stores will keep selling scented plastics. What they sell is mostly decided by the corporation with little concern for what local regulations are. (have you ever seen a deep sea fishing combination for sale in Colorado?)

As long as they make their profit they don"t care how you use the product. It is not their responsibility to to keep you from using a product illegally. The only responsibility they have is not to sell items that are forbidden for sale.

As to the question will they put pressure on manufacturers to develope and sell compliant lures. I doubt that. Unless it becomes a wide spread regulation most manufacturers will not spend the time and money for a small portion of the total population unless they decide it is cost effective and profitable for them.

Dan
Yea, sort of like fireworks sales in Colorado ;D

I still don't see what the big deal is, though, Scented plastics are still allowed everywhere that bait is allowed (and that's a lot of water, right?) so there would still be a market for them!
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top