Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody been to Spinney lately. Is there a good early fall bite there or does it slow down with the cold?

Would it be deep fishing or nearer to the surface?

·
Registered
831 Posts
At Spinney I usually put down the fly rod in the fall for a spinning rod and tube jigs. Fish the rocky points
with a crawdad colored 2 or 3 inch tube.
A white tube works well up until about 8-9 AM
This method works good for size and numbers too.

·
Registered
831 Posts
When the wind is up you can get away with bigger tubes
to support the heavier leadheads you need to feel the
tube. I've used 4 inch Gitzits on windy days and I think
it catches the bigger fish. That's my pea brained theory.

·
Registered
247 Posts
how do you fish the tube. I am new to this concept and willing to give it a try. I have always wondered if you put a ball head jig out front of the tube or in the tube. Then do you reel it constantly back to the boat or bounce it back? Any advice would be appreciated. Especally at spinney, whats the prefered method, size, color and presentation.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I put the jig head in the tube. I usually cast it out
and let if fall. If your line hesitates on the fall, flip the bail over and set the hook.
I jig it back with a couple of small jerks and let it fall again while reeling in slack line.
Try and stay in contact with your line as much as possible
as some of the takes are on the fall.
Ofter you will lift the rod to jig it and it will feel heavy
which means it's either a weed or a fish. Set the hook
if anything does not feel right.
Another option is to drop it straight down until it hits bottom and jig it.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here's my variation of using a tube jig .....I rig them up with an offset plastic worm hook for weight sometimes ill put a plastic worm weight inside the tube ....I cast out count to about 10 depending on the structure im fishing ...the on my retrieve its almost like using a sluggo...I try to get that side to side plastic jerkbait action after doing this for 15 or 20 feet I just let the tube jig drop ....this dropping action drive's bass nuts Im sure it will work with spinney trout aswell....

·
Registered
247 Posts
whats the best size and color? I have a box of Gizits that are about 3 inches long with colors ranging from clear sparkle, gold, to dark green. I'd like to use them but not sure which color would work well.

Thanks for the info too. I am gonna try it all.

The only fish i have caught at spinney are pike, i havent caught any trout there yet.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I prefer white .....those new berkley bubble up tube jigs work great ....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts