Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeh!! No kidding!! I'm going up tomorrow.. Not sure to bring the belly boat or not. I'll probably bring it anyway.

From what I've heard and read, The bite was spotty but some folks did REALLY good... Sounds like black is THE color of choice. Wooly Buggers and Marabou jigs.

Neal, I'll be using one of your leeches rigged weightless and weedless. I got some size 2 Gamakatsu worm hooks and you can rig those things just like you would a fluke or a plastic worm. I figure if I get just out of reach of the shore casters and drift with one of those babies on a spinning rod and a Wooly Bugger on the fly rod it could prove to be deadly!

I also bought two of these small Yozuri AB's. I doctored them up with my sharpie markers to look just like a little Trout. The action on those things is incredible!!

Anybody else going up tomorrow?

Tim

·
Registered
280 Posts
It was slow for most people, I didn't see anyone else raking them but me. I caught easily 35 to 40 cutbows with many large fish. All of those 23 incher are grown up. Landed at least 15 fish today between 23 and 25 inches and two over 26, it was a truley spectactular and unbelievable day. Most fish were on scuds or San Juan worms. I would have never imagined catching that many large fish in one day. Ranger evan showed up on a horse to check everyone. Its going to take hawk eyes to bring me out of this high, or my cousins wedding I have drive 5 hours to attend this weekend. Can't wait to get up there again!!!!!!!!!!!! Pictures are coming!

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Colors on the scuds and sizes? Same for the San Juans?...were you in a tube or from shore?...was it crowded?...where did you fish?...man the first report report from Spinney and he has lock jaw on details...the audience is growing and needs to know!

Glad you had a great day...scuds have long been my favorite fly up there...I was supposed to be up there once on an opener for 3 days...had to leave after two...I could lift my arm my jaw...it hurt from fish...the only time in my life that I got tennis elbow from fish...so I know what you are referring to...they swim around their entire life inhaling scuds and becoming fat pig trout...I have 2.5 days up there this time...I have a friend who kids me about the place...knows my reverance for it...sarcastically asks me if I have been to "Mecca"...well Mecca beckons on Friday...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Spinney wasn't crowded at all, compared to the opening day malay. Which was packed from what I've heard. Larger patterns worked best, these fish arn't picky When the wind whips up the shoreline muck you don't want to be flinging around all that micro stuff, so bring your meat and potatos and forget the orderves.

·
Registered
24,511 Posts
Did color matter on the scuds?

I need to tie some up...I was leaning towards tan or orange...the 19.5 Ligas special as shown to me by the Colorado Angler...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
zman at that DOW meeting they said tan was the color of choice. But I would have a couple backup options just incase rarely does anything I'm told is pulling them in works.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I was there yesterday with 2 other guys. The ranger at the gate said the crowds were much smaller. We also saw a ranger checking licenses. We caught 40 between the 3 of us, I was the weak link. Most were caught on bead headed black Wooly Boogers and brown half-backs, drifted or slow retrieved, just off the bottom. The water was cold, air temp when we got there (0800) was 28, and the wind BLEW all day. Make sure to bring your best sun block and use it often!!
left_turn56

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hi there Left turn, did you try 11 mile at all while you where up there? By the way, I'm going up this weekend to 11 mile after northern pike. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should start looking for them and what baits to use.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Metholaite. I would work the rocky points leading into coves. If they aren't staging there work you way into the coves into shallow water. The best Pike fishing is in late may and early june. They are alot more aggressive and willing to chase baits.

Fish slow with soft plastics, (Reapers, big tubes, jig & pigs, etc).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Working a crawfish plastic very solw on the dam rip rap at spinney will get you some small pike, you have to have a very slow approach at this time of year and if the wind is blowing over 5mph the slow pattern will not work. You can throw your arm out casting stick baits at spinney but if the pike are not in the mood your best bet is to troll cow bells for trout with a stinger hook 8 to 10 inches from the end of the trout lure.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just got back from a day at the lake..... WOW!! The day started slow... I fished from my tube by the ramp, then at the first parking lot for only 2 small fish. Went to the corner of the dam about 11:00 and just pounded them!! It was kind of like combat fishing with all of the people elbow to elbow but I didn't care!! Drag a tube jig or a very large wooly bugger just out of the mudline and you'll hook-up. Caught 5 keepers, 21-24" and maybe 10 or 12 more in the 18-19" range. There was a stretch of about a half hour where I hooked up on almost every cast.... Lost the big one though! I battled this fish for about 10 minutes got him up into the shallows, tried to net him twice, and he did a reverse head shake and the hook popped free!! DANG!! I estimated him at about 27-28 inches and between 8-10 lbs. A giant male rainbow!! I'll get him next time!!!

Good Luck!!! Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts