Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see " spinny midge pupa '" listed on some fi9shing report but, whenever i go to a fly shop and ask about it they never know what this is. does anyone know what this pattern is? How to tie it? where you can buy it?
also, i have been out of the country for 2 weeks and want to head to spinny this weekend. has anyone been up there recently that can give me an idea what is going on there with the hatches? Any help- would be appreciated. I will post a report monday.
thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Just a big midge pattern. Black, brown, grey or red body with some synthetic wing imitation coming out of both ends. Most fly shops should have a variation of this pattern in size 16 and 14.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Thats it. i like to fish larger ones...size 16s or 14s....even 12s sometimes. my favorite color is red, when the midges are on the water i will fish it suspended below a large size 14 griffiths gnat...red is probably my favorite color, but i also fish black.

its also a good fly to fish with a S-L-O-W retrieve down deep...for these ill tie them with larva lace with CDC gills...the larva lace makes them sink well, and the CDC looks good in the water. ones with a small brass bead also work sometimes.

some places have large versions of these...like Great Britain. i believe ive heard the patterns referred to as "bombers" before.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here's how i tie it............

Size 12 135 Dai-riki hook
red ,black or pearlesic body
fine silver wire rib
black dubbing for a head
and a 3/32 silver tungsten bead

Landed a 30" pike with that fly two weeks ago at Spinney thank Gawd i was using 5x LOL

Fish

·
Registered
265 Posts
I tie mine with this Red Holographic tinsel I found.... Makes them look real good, then I wrap fine silver wire around the body with a Gun Metal bead for the head. I need to put more cement on the body next time I make some though because those fish will really tear those things up!! I went through 7 of them the last time I was there!!

Tim

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I use another trick... ill wrap holographic tinsel on my hook shank (whichever color i desire, usually red) and then coat it with head cement and then wrap clear larva lace over it. it produces a very durable fly that still maintains a slim profile, but its flashy as heck and seems to catch fish well. if you want something less flashy, just wrap plain thread on the hook, and then cover it with the larva lace---this looks pretty good too, it has the appearance of a clear insect with the insides visible...kind of like a clear worm or something similiar. the larva lace also sinks quickly...which is good when trying to fish these flies deep.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info and pictures!! i will have to try tying some up this week.
went to spinny saturday and sunday. saturday was a good day lots of fish, the calabeatis were coming off a bit between 10:30 and 12:30. early on i caught fish on black and red zebra midges then it was either a hare ear or a calabaetis nymph until i left at 1:30. Also got fish on lures,mainly a RB trout Thomas Buoyant.
sunday was a skunk day for me! first in a long time. I suspect it was for alot of others too. I hardly saw anyone cathing fish. It was one of those days when lockjaw sets in. One day chicken next day feathers ,as someone used to say.`I hope to be out there next sunday and i will tie up some "spinny Midge Pupa".
tight lines

1 - 7 of 7 Posts