Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
I used to catch them all the time in WY just while throwing metal for trout in mountain lakes. I've never caught one in CO but I would guess most are caught by people that are trout fishing.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
I've caught them in Granby back in the day and in Cheeseman Res. They were caught on all the usual trout baits/lures.

Hardest thing is finding a lake with them. I think Antero still has them also.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
They tend to be more of a deep water fish and not that catchable in deep water reservoirs, they have wasted many years with them in places like Dillon res. and it never turned into much of a fishery, one problem, with all hybrids every one needs to be stocked and the hatcheries are having budget cuts, thats why I am a fan of naturally producing fish like lake trout and that is where you will find some of the very best areas.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
My friend Eric Ewing caught this one at Horsetooth, in late fall. We were jigging for walleye in 15' of water.

·
Registered
16,533 Posts
Yeah I must say all the splake Ive ever caught were in 20' or less. In fact, the ones I caught in Cheese were right near the top.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
RVinson said:
I did come across this little statement while reading through some DOW documentation:

"Unlike walleye which prefer deeper water during the day, saugeye will move into shal-lower water, accessible to shore anglers."
But how does that relate to Splake fishing?

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Also, I "hooked" (note I didn't say "caught") one at Carter in 8 FOW.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I've caught them in Antero, Jefferson, in Blue river upstream from Green Mountain, and lost one (I presume it was a Splake - not a laker) at the boat in Elevenmile.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've caught a lot of those guys at Buttonrock using the usual Kastys and tube jigs. You need a special permit to fish there, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts