Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had success fishing for Splake through the ice without bait? I'm looking for some good splake lures, and tactics, to try in artificual lures only waters.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I used to do real well with splake up to 19" at Parvin Lake with tube jigs and kastmasters but that has dropped off significantly in the last 2 winters. John

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure how often DOW stocks splake in Parvin. It may be that it is infrequent enough that the big ones get taken before the next crop comes up to size. Thanks for the tips. Is there any Part of Parvin where you have had more luck?

·
Registered
691 Posts
By far, the most luck for splake on Parvin has been in 9 to 14' of water off the "point" btw the 2 dams on the north end. For that matter, our best winter fishing in gen'l (rainbows, browns) have been there as well. I've only fished Parvin once this winter and caught but one splake, but several rainbows and a couple browns. Following the introduction of tiger muskie into Parvin, the splake and trout fishing got much better. I figured that the tiger muskie were eliminating suckers, etc. Of course, Parvin being a fly/lure lake one could never know if there were a lot of suckers in there. But, perhaps coincidently or not, the average splake/trout size increased dramatically after that introduction. No answer as to why splake numbers are down now. John

·
Registered
688 Posts
I was told that there are splake in lefthand res have you ever fished it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Scubapig and I use to catch them in Cheeseman Res. a lot before the fires with the trout patterned Kastmasters slowly retrieving them off the bottom. You lose quite a lot of lures that way. Ice fishing for splake has always been most productive on a spawn sack but I havent caught a Slake through the ice since they drained Antero. Good Luck.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John said:
By far, the most luck for splake on Parvin has been in 9 to 14' of water off the "point" btw the 2 dams on the north end.  For that matter, our best winter fishing in gen'l (rainbows, browns) have been there as well.  I've only fished Parvin once this winter and caught but one splake, but several rainbows and a couple browns.  Following the introduction of tiger muskie into Parvin, the splake and trout fishing got much better.  I figured that the tiger muskie were eliminating suckers, etc.  Of course, Parvin being a fly/lure lake one could never know if there were a lot of suckers in there.  But, perhaps coincidently or not, the average splake/trout size increased dramatically after that introduction.  No answer as to why splake numbers are down now.   John
Thanks for the location info.  Parvin used to be a really good big fish lake, but I believe it was poisoned maybe 6 or 7 years ago to remove suckers, and then restocked and tigers added because the poisoning didn't do a good job on the suckers.  Fish size has likely been increasing over the last few years due mostly to growth of the fish stocked since the sucker slaughter. I'll probably fish at Parvin this afternoon.  Will report later.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I caught a couple of rainbows in the location you mentioned, John. There were some frozen-over holes in the area in 15-25 FOW. 2" Chartreuse tube jig and 1/4 oz. kastmasters worked.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm glad you got into some fish. We'll be fishing Dowdy this Sat. I like Parvin best but with young kids it's hard to beat Dowdy. Thanks for the report. John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts