Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using spit shot and flies (wooly buggers, pistol petes, ect) to no avail. How far from the fly do you attach the splitshot......closest thing Ill get to fly fishing till I can rake up enough money to buy a flyrod.

Thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have used split shot with flies extensively this summer (with fly rod) but I'm sure it would be the same with spinning gear.

I would typically attach the split shot anywhere from 4-12" above the fly depending on the depth and current speed. As far as I have been able to tell, the fish don't seem to care how far the shot is away from the fly...they seem to ignore it and go for the fly. I suppose that there is so much stuff floating with the current that fish ignore anything that doesn't look like food.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i wouldnt use a split shot, ive caught them w/an open face reel using a plastic bubble. theyre .38cents for 2 at walmart.

fill it half w/water, use at least 6' of line from bubble to fly

hope this helps. have fun

·
Registered
87 Posts
scody357 said:
i wouldnt use a split shot, ive caught them w/an open face reel using a plastic bubble. theyre .38cents for 2 at walmart.

hope this helps. have fun
Iv'e used those too, and never get snagged. Bust em up on rocks alot though. Sometimes I'll put a small split on to lower the fly a little. If the waters running too high and hard for the bubble I'll use some tube weight ( less likely to get wedged in between rocks) with a two to 4 foot leader and bounce it off the bottom throwiing up steam.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
I put small split shot about 1 -2 feet above a fly/lure (they're called Joe's flys {also from Wallyworld}). It's a fly w/ a small blade spinner and a trailing treble hook. They're deadly!  8)  I've caught Trout, Perch, Bluegill, and small Bass on them.
When using a bubble, I tie my leader just a few inches shorter than the rod I'm using.
Oh, and Pondfisher. You didn't say what you're fising for, but I've been having luck latley (on Bluegill and small Bass) using tiny poppers and small hoppers. Use a bubble to cast. Have you tried the smaller Pistol Petes ?

·
0 Posts
scody357 said:

hope this helps.  have fun
I use the same,a plastic bubble4'-6'of line,put a pistol petes[olive green,small blade] royal coach man,joes fly,sometimes a super dupper502.had some good luck with it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input!!! I have been using Rainbow plastics bubble which allows you to fish flys for some time. I have had lots of luck with it in ponds and such but I have never caught a fish off a fly and bubble on moving bodies of water i.e. streams and rivers.

Again thanks for the info...gonna fish woolybuggers and split shot and try to coax some browns in the St. Vrain river to bite

Pondfisher

·
Registered
267 Posts
i've had the same experience with bubbles as pondfisher as far as they are great for a lake or pond, but for nymphs in moving water, i say run your split shot about one foot above a nymph and use enough weight that you are feeling the bottom. i use bb's so that if i'm hanging up a little, use one less, if i don't feel bottom, try one more........
i caught several whitefish this weekend fishing nymphs on spingear. very fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts