Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a visit there today and so far this is the best fishing store I have found. I know until BPS and Cabelas comes our choices are limited. Is this the best store in Denver or are there other places worth checking. To me Dick's (previously Galyans) just doesn't seem to fit my need. Also,from what the hunting guys there say,the fishing expert works 8-4 M-F.
I need bosses like that.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Sportsmans is nice but for us with a limited budget sometimes it can be pricey. If you go there often and watch for the sales, you can get pretty lucky. I recommend going behind the aisles where the items can't be seen easily from teh main walkway around the center of the store. Here the cheaper products are sitting. Maybe Cabela's will fight with Sportsmans on prices and the prices will start going down at both places. Sportsmans and Cabela's may have more variety, but lets not forget teh little bait shops. Keep supporting these guys too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do agree with supporting the local bait shops if they have what I need. But I won't pay more to have a small shop order it. If a non chain shop has what I need I'll pay 10 - 20% more...within reason.

T

·
0 Posts
i think Gander Mountain is far better than Sportsman's Warehouse.

two in the area - on in Aurora off I-225 and one oopening Sun. 5/1/05 in Thornton off I-25

Gander has an awesome fishing section and live bait

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I really like Sportmans-drive up from CS to the one off 225 about every couple of months. Last visit they had some great news for me-we are getting one in CS late this year. Other than that, I mostly order from the BPS catalogue. Ed

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I think SW has better prices but I really enjoy talking with the guys at GM. (Aurora)
I think SW has frozen bait and worms but not Minnows or leeches.

IMO

-Jay

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also believe in supporting the local (privately owned) shops but it's extremly difficult for them to compete with the larger stores.

Along those lines, I understand that Sportsman's and Gander are also opening up more stores here in the area. I guess my question is how can those two compete with Bass Pro or Cableas when they get here??

John

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
jdferguson said:
how can those two compete with Bass Pro or Cableas when they get here??

Id say price and most important location. Ill check out BP and CAB but they are to far from me soo Ill goto the closer stores.

IMO

-Jay

·
Registered
270 Posts
I?m all for supporting the local guys, but on items pricing is set by the manufacturer. Items like trolling motor some shimano reels stuff like that. The trick is to pay the least amount so you can buy your lures and other stuff locally. If order a motor from Cabelas online I for go the 7.2% tax is most areas. That?s another $50.00 off of $700. That only works if you catch them on a free shipping day. I will go local if I can, but I can keep $50 in my pocket I will. I think Gander Mountain and Sportsman are both good stores you just need to watch the sales rack. Last year we did better at Chatfield on a $1.09 shad imitation than any other lure. MuskyBill beat me to wallmart after a trip and bought all the lures out of the sale basket because it was a discontinued item. At lease he gave me a few. Of the 4 smalleyes I?ve caught at Chatfield this year 2 came on that bait. Over all I would go Internet if I could save over $20.00 in taxes and get free shipping.

D

·
0 Posts
:mad: Once these places like Cabela's and Bass Pro have stores open in Colorado, then they have to start charging Colorado sales tax on catalog, telephone, and (I think) internet orders. So...no more tax-free purchases from those two places once their local outlets open.

Learned the hard way w/ a purchase from Land's End last fall. Land's End had been bought by Sears and since Sears had Colorado stores I had to pay Colorado sales tax on my telephone/catalog order from LE.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
The upside to having to pay a sales tax once BPS opens here is that I think if you order an item from the catalogue and want to return it, you can just take it to their store. No more putting it back it the box and paying to ship it back. Ed

·
Registered
578 Posts
hunterfishercamper said:
Does Sportsmans have live bait? I ahven't seen anyhting there about it.
I don't know about the one in Denver but the one in Loveland doesn't sell live bait. One of the guys there told me they don't sell live bait because they sell clothing and they don't want their clothing to smell like fish!! Grrrrrrrrrr........... I have to go to Berthoud or Ft. Collins to get live bait.

·
Registered
460 Posts
One thing nice about these big stores will be their taxes. These taxes will got o teh towns and jsut maybe these towns will start to recognize fisherman more. They will open up new areas for fishing. Also these big stores may help fund fisheries and we'll have even better fishing habitats. Maybe some more large reservoirs with fishing only, no water sports.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Don't know, just know its coming-according to the storeperson up in Denver. You're right, it will be nice-we have next to nothing when it comes to fishing/camping, etc. Ed

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just from the standpoint of fishing lures, I like Gander Mtn's stock in lures. Don't get me wrong. I like Sportsman's Warehouse, but if I wanted to buy a lure today, I'd go to Gander Mtn. They have very low prices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts