Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please make TWO quick phone calls, pass this on to Every sportsmen you know around the country who wants to hunt big game in the west.

Simply call and Ask Sen. Tester and Sen. Baucus (both Montana) to Support Sen. Hatch, Sen. Crapo and Risch and Sen. Enzie and Barroasso and Sen. McCain and Kyle and vote to pass S. 3919 which would Delist wolves for all the West.

Be polite, tell them it is a critical issue to all sportsmen and ranchers for all Western States.

Call now, pass this on to all you know

Senator Baucus (202) 224-2651

Senator Tester (202) 224-2644

I just finished making my calls and both offices anwered within a couple rings and were extremely friendly and courteous. Let's do our part to make sure that wildlife in the great states of the west are managed by the folks that know the state best and not washington. I am passing this message along from Monster Muleys.com forum. Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
Hey man, I was wondering, can you give a bit more information as to what is happening? I don't understand. What will "delisting" do?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
solesearcher34 said:
If you like 'em then you should support the states managing them rather than the alternative. ;)
That depends on the states' definitions of "manage", and that's the real problem with this initiative.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
That depends on the states' definitions of "manage", and that's the real problem with this initiative.
"Manage" ..to control the movement or the behavior of. Right out of the dictionary. Doesn't take a rocket scientist.

State Minimum pairs * Current pairs+ Current population

Idaho 15 49 835
Montana 15 37 524
Oregon 7 1-2 15
Washington 15 2-3 20
Wyoming 15 18 300

*Minumum pairs called for
+Minimum number of breeding pairs counted, Dec. 09

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
solesearcher34 said:
If you like 'em then you should support the states managing them rather than the alternative. ;)
Really doesn't matter what the individual states' definition of "manage" is Don.........even if delisted the states would be required to maintain the minimum number of breeding pair agreed to under the reintroduction plan. It isn't like if they are delisted the states could then just eradicate all the wolves. If they are not managed better it will be detrimental for "educated" management of the wolves.........there are many folks willing to do the job anyway and the best way to get them on board is to give them a stake in keeping them around.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jörmungandr said:
solesearcher34 said:
solesearcher34 said:
Really doesn't matter what the individual states' definition of "manage" is Don.........even if delisted the states would be required to maintain the minimum number of breeding pair agreed to under the reintroduction plan. It isn't like if they are delisted the states could then just eradicate all the wolves. If they are not managed better it will be detrimental for "educated" management of the wolves.........there are many folks willing to do the job anyway and the best way to get them on board is to give them a stake in keeping them around.
Do you think wolves should exist in their native range that they have lived in for thousands of years before us?

and this is a yes or no question. don't give a down the middle explanation about it.
Well Dave..........you are asking for a yes or no answer but it isn't a yes or no question bub. In short, no I do not think that it is always benefitial or favorable to reintroduce a species simply because it existed there historically.
Do you think I should be allowed to hunt wolves without restriction because my ancestors hunted them with impunity for thousands of years?
(no need to answer the last question as I was just making a point)

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jörmungandr said:
solesearcher34 said:
Jörmungandr said:
solesearcher34 said:
solesearcher34 said:
Do you think wolves should exist in their native range that they have lived in for thousands of years before us?

and this is a yes or no question. don't give a down the middle explanation about it.
Well Dave..........you are asking for a yes or no answer but it isn't a yes or no question bub. In short, no I do not think that it is always benefitial or favorable to reintroduce a species simply because it existed there historically.
Do you think I should be allowed to hunt wolves without restriction because my ancestors hunted them with impunity for thousands of years?
(no need to answer the last question as I was just making a point)
it actually is. so yes or no?
You really have been negatively impacted by your moshing lifestyle haven't you?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
lake1177 said:
"Manage" ..to control the movement or the behavior of. Right out of the dictionary. Doesn't take a rocket scientist.
Perhaps you were being disingenuous, perhaps you weren't. The problem with giving states the exclusive authority to "manage" wolves is that some just never got on the reintroduction bandwagon in the first place and would prefer to see them exterminated again. Wyoming in particular has the idea that "managing" them involves giving people the right to shoot them on sight over most of the state, at least according to what I've read. That short-sighted approach has apparently killed any chance at passage of a measure like this in this Congress.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I made the call. Colorado has the largest elk population in North America and I'd like to keep it that way. The area I hunt has seen an explosion of the bear population in the last few years and it has had a horrible impact on the elk heard. This year I only saw a few calves with cows, I usually see every other cow with a calf.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
bassboy said:
I made the call. Colorado has the largest elk population in North America and I'd like to keep it that way. The area I hunt has seen an explosion of the bear population in the last few years and it has had a horrible impact on the elk heard. This year I only saw a few calves with cows, I usually see every other cow with a calf.
You think the bears are eating that many calfs?

I still think they should allow baiting for bears...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Oyey said:
bassboy said:
You think the bears are eating that many calfs?

I really do, when I was a kid I'd hardly ever see a bear, but know sometimes I'll see as many as 15-20 in a weekend hunting trip. I know elk aren't the main part of a bears diet but thats a lot of mouths to feed. I too think they should bring back baiting.

·
Registered
513 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
Good luck with that.
Another thing we can thank the DOW for.
Why are you blaming the DOW for that? It was your fellow Colorado citizens that voted to ban the spring hunt and use of bait by passing amendment 10.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Because they remained silent and didn't get involved when bear hunting and trapping were being lost by single didgits at the polls and the movement was being funded by out of state anti's that oppose what the agency should stand for.
Their inaction helped loose a couple of very important management tools.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
UNREPENTANT SINNER said:
Because they remained silent and didn't get involved when bear hunting and trapping were being lost by single didgits at the polls and the movement was being funded by out of state anti's that oppose what the agency should stand for.
That was certainly a big part of it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts