Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at Spratt-Platte yesterday. Casual fishing w/Senkos. Only caught a
couple (muskie bait size). Not many people - maybe a dozen and nobody
catching anything. But I noticed ALL of the bream beds along the west side were empty and naturally no predator bass hanging around. I know bream
spawn more than once a year but if they are off the beds now, might be time
to get out some of the crank/jerk baits. Tempted to try the Lucky Crafts..

D

·
0 Posts
Dude-

Senkos are illegal there. Sprat Platte is artificial lure only and since Senkos have salt molded in they don't fall under the definition of "artificial" in the new 2006 regulations.

Do a search on this site. There are several threads discussing this change in definitions. Sucks for those of us who like Senkos and salted tubes, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DON ! I'm using all Maniac and/or creek critters baits (including the Senko
style) Might be best if you were aware of all the facts before criticizing.
I don't take kindly to uninformed assumptions....

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
rkymtnhi said:
Might be best if you were aware of all the facts before criticizing.
No assumptions were necessary. You clearly stated Senkos.

D

·
0 Posts
rkymtnhi said:
You're the one who said you were using a Senko.  Senkos are heavily salted.  If you're using an unsalted senko-style bait, that's entirely different (and entirely legal).  I didn't assume anything, just took your words at face value.  

Might be best if you were a little more accurate in your descriptions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you have substanciated accusations, go for it. Otherwise mind your own business !!! YOU ARE NOT MY MENTOR!!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I agree that Don in Denver should not accuse someone of a "crime" without all the information.  There are lots of "senkos", get off his back!  He is probably just jealous that rkymtnhi caught a fish and he didn't.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
its funny the little things that tick peoples buttons , for don i agree i thought all sinkos products were salted , but we learn something new everyday , there is way to much comotion for little things like that , people need to get over things , if he used a sinko so what , i dont see why people have to complain when someone catches a fish

D

·
0 Posts
In my original post I really wasn't trying to take a shot at rkymtnhi. I was simply trying to point out that you can't use the genuine Senkos there any more because they are salt impregnated, even though the package doesn't say so. Nothing more.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
atownbasser said:
There are lots of "senkos"
Senko is a brand name, and trying to use it as a generic term is likely to cause confusion. Although I know people who buy a box of Puffs and then insist they are Kleenex. It's always better to say what you mean.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Well I am reading a pack of Gary Yamamoto Senkos right now and see nothing about salt or being pregnant with salt :D, so either way Don in Denver needs to chill. They are not illegal on AFALO water.

D

·
0 Posts
atownbasser said:
They are not illegal on AFALO water.
Actually, atownbasser, they are illegal on artificial fly and lure only water because they are heavily salt impregnated, even though the package doesn't say so. Don't believe me? Do a Google search for Yamamoto & Senko & salt. Still don't believe me? Call GYCB at 800-645-2248.

For a guy whose handle has the term "basser" in it, I wsould think you would know this elementary suff. ;D

·
Registered
797 Posts
I'd like to see a ranger give me a ticket for it, even the rangers at quincy said "read the package, if it doesn't say salt its OK to use". So I doubt you would get a ticket for using one. I do get unscented generic tubes and curly tails to play by the rules, but dont use senkos if you dont want to i guess.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
1st,    if rkymtnhi was using non salt immatation Senkos that's great (especially if they were Maniac's  ;)).

2nd,   No one attacked anyone. Don only stated that Sencos were illegal. That is important info. If rkymtnhi was using salt free immatations, he already knows this, but there are other members/surfers that obviously don't!

If you look in a Bass Pro Shop catalog, they describe Gary Yamamoto's Sencos as "salt impregnated". Making them illegal at ANY Colorado artificial lure/fly water.

I commend Don for his post. I have a special tackle backpack of only scent/salt free lures/baits. I use this at my favorite fly/lure water (alot of you know where I'm talking about). I have to admit, I've been struggling there.  :-[  Anyway, I read a post on here or somewhere else about a contest in fly/lure waters where the ranger said "just rinse the salt off". I got my hopes up, and asked a ranger if this was ok there. Very nice ranger, but it was a no-go. No salt whatsoever. Doesn't matter if the bag doesn't say salted. You'll notice that Maniac Custum Lures have a NO SALT/SCENT  sticker on them.

I'm not trying to argue w/ anyone here, I would actually love someone to prove me wrong, so I could use them. Just making sure all members know the facts. 

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DON !! If you had simply asked me instead of presuming I was ignorant or
illegal, NONE of this would have been neccessary. My original post was meant
as passing info only. Consider! with 65+ years and no violations maybe I've done a few things right...

·
Registered
769 Posts
I posted the reply that I got from Yamamoto a few weeks ago regarding salt and scents in their baits. Their reply was that there are no Yamamoto baits that are scent or salt free. That means that all of their baits are illegal on artificial waters. I assumed that the packages that did not mention salt were okay to use. They said that my assumption was wrong. Since this was from Yamamoto, I have to take it as true.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts