Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fihed there this afternoon from 3:30 to 5:30 tried all my soft plastics and plugs. only one bitr on a purple wormwith blue twister tail. missed it of course :mad: now i must vent. when you go into this lake there are many signs that this is artificial flies and lures only and all bass under 18" must be released. the signs are both in english and spanish. i had my 12 yr old daughter with me and she used plastics as well. ill bet i counted twenty people using live worms for bait. now i am not a racist but they all were hispanic. also i saw one catch a bass about 14" call it grande and put it in a bucket. im sorry but if we go through all the trouble of putting up signs in spanish also, whats the point? sorry i had to get that off my chest

·
Registered
765 Posts
I enjoyed fishing there last year about twice in the early season. After that it was destroyed by the disrespectful urban idiots of all races that I could see. :mad: It kind of made me wish they had never opened the place to fishing. :-[ DOW could make a killing on fines if they could properly patrol it all the time. I bet a lot of the folks you saw there didn't even have fishing licenses.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yep, as far as I can tell, trashing the place and fishing with bait is an equal opportunity past time over there. Doesn't matter what ethnicity, idiots are all over the place.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Yep, that place is quite sad now. That's why I fish it very early in the season so I don't have to lay my eyes on such ugliness (trash, rules being broken, shoulder to shoulder fishing, etc...)

I go there occasionally, up until the weather warms up and all the folks who aint real fishermen start comin' out in full force. That's when the season of Spratt comes to a close for me. Now it's onto less "infested" bass lakes and ponds.

Y

·
0 Posts
Fished Sprat for the first time last night from 6:30 to 8:00...Me and my wife like to bike and rollerblade on the South Platte Trail since we live close and noticed the lake when we ventured further than normal last week....so last night we brought the poles and some plastics. Fished for 45 min. without a bite and then finally got a couple of bites and managed to land one bass (14-15"?)on a 5" sinking minnow...watermelon colored...weightless....had several more hits but the sun was going down and the bugs start to get really bad at dusk on the trail so we headed out. Tried several spots but had all our hits in the Northwest corner.

I have not seen it on the weekend but it was not too crowded for a small lake that close to town...maybe one fisherman every 100 -200 yards on average. They must have picked up the trash because we only saw one empty Gary Yamamoto bag on shore. I would never attempt to fish there on a weekend but it is a nice spot to keep the casting arm in shape during the week.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The abuse at Spratt is out of control!!! Anglers need to make a stand on this lake and not allow this bad behavoir to continue. I urge everyone to call and report these violators as soon as they see people using bait, not following the 18" keeper limit, using trotlines and the like.

(303) 291-7227 is the number for the regional DOW office.

Sure you may have to press a few buttons and stay on hold for a few minutes but they will respond. An officer will most likely never show up here unless a call is made so doing nothing only allows this abuse to continue. The more calls made will generate more visibility to the DOW of what is going on. There is no rapid response team for fishing violations as I would like but at least you can know that you have done something.

We only need a few surprise sweeps and one or two violators to be prosecuted for the word to get out. Anglers...you have the power to make a difference!

·
Banned
487 Posts
afishman said:
fihed there this afternoon from 3:30 to 5:30 tried all my soft plastics and plugs. only one bitr on a purple wormwith blue twister tail. missed it of course :mad: now i must vent. when you go into this lake there are many signs that this is artificial flies and lures only and all bass under 18" must be released. the signs are both in english and spanish. i had my 12 yr old daughter with me and she used plastics as well. ill bet i counted twenty people using live worms for bait. now i am not a racist but they all were hispanic. also i saw one catch a bass about 14" call it grande and put it in a bucket. im sorry but if we go through all the trouble of putting up signs in spanish also, whats the point? sorry i had to get that off my chest
Same thing. I'm not racist but this latino guy that fishes at Juniata always keeps way over his limit of walleyes and rainbows. Once he had an over limit of rainbows from 2 - 9 pounds and walleyes from 2 - 4 pounds. Last time he kept 11 walleyes and a jerry creek sized bluegill. He catches them on worms.
I don't mind people using bait as long as they release fish because I am a bait man myself. But keeping over the limit, or even keeping big fish when ethically you shouldn't. PISSES ME OFF.
Also a hispanic guy always sneaks down to canyon creek on the Colorado river and snags giant rainbows and browns when they are spawning. Some of the rainbows are over 3 feet long. And he snags them and puts them in the truck.
I have called operation game thief on both and it does nothing. The CDOW DOES NOTHING. It doesn't work and their is nothing they can do unless they see the fisherman doing it or get a search warrant to find the illegal fish. But they don't even try. I've called several times on each poacher and they are still there. Fishing isn't high priority for them. But poach a deer and they will investigate and upon conviction you will be fined $1500 and 15 points against your license.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is one issue that gets me a bit heated as it should never have come to this. However, there is hope and I HAVE gotten results through the proper channels. Its never the instant/heavy handed response I would like but something is better than nothing.

Here are just some of the tips I suggest:

1. Reach out to the local agency that manages that body of water. Explain the problem and when you saw it occur. Ask them to step up their park patrols during this time. Give as much important detail as possible.

2. Ask for the nearest local authority to call when these violations are spotted. In some cases, they give you the regional DOW number. But a few cities have an officer especially assigned to P&R. I have much better results with those guys as they respond quickly. These officers have the authority to write tickets and even detain violators until the DOW agent shows up.

3. Do your best to document the violation. I've actually taken photos of people and the vehicles they used. A license plate can be tracked easily. The reason a lot of cases are DOA so to speak is due to the fact the agent/officer has nothing to go on other than one angler's heated comments well after the act has been committed.

4. Take a deep breath, gather your thoughts before you start talking. My frantic/heated calls are easily dismissed but when I state my name first and calmly describe the infraction, the agent seems much more agreable to respond.

5. Don't expect to much but know you have done something. Even if you get a voicemail of the local officer...LEAVE A MESSAGE! Report the violation and ask for assistance. Making the attempt is SO important. Unethical anglers know they have little to fear from other anglers. THIS MUST CHANGE!

Pull out trotlines! Be a nuisance to violators! Tell them what they are doing is wrong! This all has an impact. All we need are one or two prosecutions out at Spratt and the mentality WILL change.

More rambling for those with a lot of patience to read this long winded dribble.

This afternoon I called D.S. (the park and rec supervisor for Thornton) He told me some of the outrageous things his folks have wintnessed out there at Spratt Platte....and even explained how there isn't much legal authority for P&R in regards to violations. This is tragic and MUST change.

But we did talk for a bit and he gave me some options and good dialogue. I think I may have cheered him up a bit just by letting him know that a lot of folks care about Spratt, doing the right thing by obeying the posted regs, thanking his P&R folks for their efforts, and letting him know anglers really appreciate being able to fish here.

Then I called the DOW agency and gave them the same report. Don't be surprised next Saturday when the DOW officer rolls up. Have a made a difference? Maybe. Have I made the attempt? Absolutely!

·
Banned
487 Posts
Mattsabasser said:
This is one issue that gets me a bit heated as it should never have come to this. However, there is hope and I HAVE gotten results through the proper channels. Its never the instant/heavy handed response I would like but something is better than nothing.

Here are just some of the tips I suggest:

1. Reach out to the local agency that manages that body of water. Explain the problem and when you saw it occur. Ask them to step up their park patrols during this time. Give as much important detail as possible.

2. Ask for the nearest local authority to call when these violations are spotted. In some cases, they give you the regional DOW number. But a few cities have an officer especially assigned to P&R. I have much better results with those guys as they respond quickly. These officers have the authority to write tickets and even detain violators until the DOW agent shows up.

3. Do your best to document the violation. I've actually taken photos of people and the vehicles they used. A license plate can be tracked easily. The reason a lot of cases are DOA so to speak is due to the fact the agent/officer has nothing to go on other than one angler's heated comments well after the act has been committed.

4. Take a deep breath, gather your thoughts before you start talking. My frantic/heated calls are easily dismissed but when I state my name first and calmly describe the infraction, the agent seems much more agreable to respond.

5. Don't expect to much but know you have done something. Even if you get a voicemail of the local officer...LEAVE A MESSAGE! Report the violation and ask for assistance. Making the attempt is SO important. Unethical anglers know they have little to fear from other anglers. THIS MUST CHANGE!

Pull out trotlines! Be a nuisance to violators! Tell them what they are doing is wrong! This all has an impact. All we need are one or two prosecutions out at Spratt and the mentality WILL change.

More rambling for those with a lot of patience to read this long winded dribble.

This afternoon I called D.S. (the park and rec supervisor for Thornton) He told me some of the outrageous things his folks have wintnessed out there at Spratt Platte....and even explained how there isn't much legal authority for P&R in regards to violations. This is tragic and MUST change.

But we did talk for a bit and he gave me some options and good dialogue. I think I may have cheered him up a bit just by letting him know that a lot of folks care about Spratt, doing the right thing by obeying the posted regs, thanking his P&R folks for their efforts, and letting him know anglers really appreciate being able to fish here.

Then I called the DOW agency and gave them the same report. Don't be surprised next Saturday when the DOW officer rolls up. Have a made a difference? Maybe. Have I made the attempt? Absolutely!

Well we can sure try to make a difference. The closest I've done to harassing violaters was when I chased large rainbows, some as big as 7 pounds, that were spawning in a tiny culvert at Vega Lake. I chased them out so they wouldn't be caught, even it if disrupted the spawn. People were snagging them, and the DOW doesn't even close to creek mouth during the spawn. If they did and people couldn't target the easy spawners, they wouldn't have to stock near as many fish in Vega and that would leave more WD free trout available for stocking elsewhere.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good call matt. i went there on sunday and the same guys were there. i just programmed that dow number into my cell. thanks for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts