Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Spratt Platte for the first time today getting there aobut 7:00PM. I only got to fish for about 30 minutes because the park was closing. I was able to catch my first Largemouth of the year about a 17 incher on a floating minnow rappala. He had all those leeches in its mouth...man that looked painful. Released and away he went.

TH

·
Registered
164 Posts
holy cow you need to come with me to this place, i would love to catch some LM bigger then my lure for once, i have some more time to spend fishing now but not for long so how about meeting up again to do some fishing??

F

·
0 Posts
spratt can be really hot at times .....most of the fish you catch after spring have those little leetches in there mouths......awesome catch ....it would be a great place if everyone would pick up after themselves.........there are 20inch plus bass in spratt and catfish well over 10lbs

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hoiw would one go about catching a catfish from spratt platte seeing that it is flies/lures only? I have caught them on twister tail grubs, but only 2 or 3 in my entire life, and those were when targeting bass.

F

·
0 Posts
at spratt I really wouldnt target cats with the restrictions....BUT ....with fishing303's gulp night crawler idea ...if you have a second rod stamp and a rod with a clicker why not set a gulp night crawler up on a slip sinker rig set your clicker then continue to bass with other ......but if your only are using one rod your missing out on good bass action ........if someone had the patience the reward could be great ..........what do you guys think of that Idea to target cats at flies and lures only lakes ...could work if they dont impose those scented plastic restrictions ...............I think im gonna try this ..hahahahhaa

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fishinguitars said:
at spratt I really wouldnt target cats with the restrictions....BUT ....with fishing303's gulp night crawler idea ...if you have a second rod stamp and a rod with a clicker why not set a gulp night crawler up on a slip sinker rig set your clicker then continue to bass with other ......but if your only are using one rod your missing out on good bass action ........if someone had the patience the reward could be great ..........what do you guys think of that Idea to target cats at flies and lures only lakes ...could work if they dont impose those scented plastic restrictions ...............I think im gonna try this ..hahahahhaa
better hurry from the sounds of it those regs are a done deal

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont see how that would help unless it has something to do with where you keep your plastics....J/K

yeah this is going to be on he11 of a F'up when they start trying to enforce that reg. i just dont see how they can do that maybe they will just wright tickets for all plastics and hope nobody fights the ticket in court

F

·
0 Posts
its just such a dumb thing to try to inforce .....if nothing else ban snelled bait hooks on flie and lure lakes and let people use circle hooks barbless if need be ....bills live bait on washington is a great store and it would be a sad day if it wasnt around ...does the d.o.w. ever think about that or is there main goal sustaining trout populations on prarie reservoirs where they truly do not belong ....

F

·
0 Posts
sorry I just keep thinking on this one .....Its like to d.o.w doesnt realize behind a jar of salmon eggs or a can of worms is someones livelyhood ...someones job and someons pride .....If they get to hippie the only people that will be able to make money in this industry are huge companys and people who tie flies .....you know everyone has there brand ...i like paultzke's salmon eggs ......I get all my live bait from bills live bait ....sorry im rambling but the thing thats starting to bug me ............THERE IS NO COMMERCIAL FISHING IN COLORADO, WHY IS IT GETTING SO COMMERCIALIZED ....

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i dont think this will affect the tackel shops much i dont think the flies/lure only area are a majority there are still tons of fishing places they will still be ok in 2 years of fishing here ive only spent 1 day more like 1/2 day at a flies/lures only spot

there is comerrical fishing here i dont know much about it but have seen references in the reg 1 that i can remmber is on the size of crays commerrcial fishers have a minimum size limit

F

·
0 Posts
unless its in there own hatcheries ive never heard of commercial fishing in colorado........i see those pictures of fish on the dream stream and I really want to go but then I hear about all the people ....Ill take a 4lb brown on the poudre with no one around before I would a 10lber with people elbow to elbow.....same thing with the frying pan ...i read in an article where a guy said there is one bend that you sould just have to take a number to get your trophy fish ....its still cool to bag a trophy but not as cool to get it in a spot where no one else is around .....been up for a while ......rambling ...need beer

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What time does spratt platte open?

What is a good lure to use for a novice bass fisherman?

Thanks

TH

Thinking about fishing in the morning when it opens.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i love the panther martin caught the second pike with that, and bass seem to love it as well, just cast out and reel in.

F

·
0 Posts
trouthunter if you get there early in the morning a buzzbait will get you addicted to bass fishing for life ......they say they open sunrise to sunset(whenever joe blow city worker wakes up ) .....My favorite color buzzbait is black but ive also done well with chartruse.....jig and pigs are pretty easy to catch fish on as well.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
i never tried a buzz bait, they are just like spinners that stay on top of the water, that does sound like fun.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I go to spratt a lot and i mostly always get at least one or two fish on a zoom baby brush hog/super hog texas rigged with a 3/16 black bullet wieght.I get plenty of followers on a topwater frog worked across the alge but i can't seem to get one.good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts