Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont remeber how i stumbled across this great site but im truly excited about it . I fish spratt platte a couple times a week and have been complaining and calling the d.o.w. about the people who break the rules all the time . I finally got fed up after i was fishing the southwest side (as far as your can go ) and got a snag i brought my line in and it was a little mini trout line with 6 hooks recently baited with worms . Ive given up on trying to save this lake , and honestly i dont blame the d.o.w. or the stupid people who brake the rules . its the city of thornton thats opening these lakes and then abandoning them . i mean they keep the grass mowed the parking lot somewhat clean why not take care of the fishing . I think there is alot of citys that can learn from aurora and the way they manage there lakes . I think out of all the times ive been to quincy there has only been once my license wasnt checked and it makes me feel great to know that they actually care about the lake . another thornton slaughter of a fishery was the opening of the gravel pond lakes on 88th and colorado . me and a buddy of mine fishing those ponds last year on the first day it was opened . I was thinking ok stocker trout and maybe some bass . second cast bam a 23 inch rainbow snapped a pic let him go into the water unharmed . we must have caught 15 over 20 inches . As the sun came up so did the boneheads zebco's powerbait and coolers . stringers filled as did the ground with trash ciggerett butts line ect....i seen one family fill a stringer put it in the back of a mini van come back and do it again . Its just unreal to me how a city can open a lake and just not care what happens to the fish and wildlife who have called it home for a number of years . Sorry to talk about something ive already seen in here but its good to vent a little to people who actually care as much as i do (didnt know they were out there until now ) .

eric

p.s. I honestly think people who are getting a fishing license for the fist time should have to take a class in basic fishing knowledge and ethics .

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah, I hear you. The crowds and the attitude are the reasons I stopped fishing a few years ago. But it's great to see others on this board who give a damn.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like Big Thompson Ponds. All though there is no trout in them, some strange people go there sometimes. I mean weird mofos.

I see trash around everytime I'm at the ponds. I pick up trash around the area I'm fishing, and most of the time it about fills a safeway bag.

I kind of like the class idea when getting you first license.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i hit big thompson ponds at night .....for some reason i always catch bigger cats in the first pond ..and more numbers in the back pond.....i dont know why its a hard concept for people to understand .....leave an area the way you left it ......trashy people leave trash . not to sound like a tough guy but im 6'5 260lbs maybe i can intimidate people to pick up there own #$%& hahahaha......believe it or not its actually worked a couple times . yes sir im sorry i didnt mean to leave that there ....sure

·
Registered
636 Posts
that explains why I have never caught a fish at the gravel ponds. Everyone kept all of them. This just shows what unethical fisherman can do to a pond/lake in less than two years.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup ....what im excited for is in a couple years everyone is gonna forget about it and the few fish that are left will grow and grow and grow .....ive never seen anyone target cats here and tommorow morning i think i might try some chicken liver

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Yep.. Tha'z why I don't fish Spratt after it gets warm enough for 'regular recreation'. I usually stop my visits here around mid April if it even goes that far.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'm with you all the way.last year i was out at chatfield ponds/kingfisher.And the bass were spawnig or getting ready to at least and ppl wher kicking the sand back into beds that were already there.really made me angry.then a little later a family to THREE huge plastic bags of good sized bluegill.i mean yea ok couple bluegill will make a dinner but they took maybe around 100+ of  10 or 9 inches. and a lot more small ones.

·
Registered
109 Posts
wow, that makes me realy angry, i think and i know it wont happen, that the state should close fishing for a litllewhile (will never happen) just to let some of the lakes attempt to make a comback it wont happen though

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That story at chatfield makes me sick inside, people are just so freaken arrogant that they think they can keep all the fish they want without any consequences! :mad:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont know what colorado gross's off fishing a year including buisness but it has to be a buttload .....you think they would pay more attention to the lakes ponds and rivers to insure countless numbers of jobs ....and i think they try maybe some of the blame needs to be on us ....how many times have you walked passed someone breaking the rules and not said anything ? ive done it a few and felt bad afterwards . if these people who brake the rules so freely got treated the way they should maybe they wouldnt do it anymore ...probably not the greatest answer in the world but hey ....maybe we should get a bunch of us local anglers and start some kind of task force that the d.o.w. would support ..that way we could all protect our local waters from bums

·
Registered
943 Posts
no doubt. i had to threatan to call the dow a few times this year already.it pisses me off because once i forgot to buy my fishing license and went ice fishing on jan 2nd and got a ticket. it didnt matter i had bought it for ten years in a row.you know that most of these idiots dont have licences.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, im only fifteen, and not very big how many people are going to listen to an unimposing teen?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts