Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend was crazy. We scrapped the float idea early in the week but for some reason we decided at midnight on Friday that we had to do it. Got a solid 2 hours of sleep and we were up at 430AM to head up to the Kremmling area. Greeted with 4 inches of snow on the pass and even more at the boat ramp, it took a lot of work to even get up the boat in the water.

It turned out to be a fun, the canyon sucked fish wise and we spent way too much time in it. Still a little cold this time of year.

Let me just preface this whole report by saying that I really don't think any of these fish are "trophies". I don't care how big they are, they are still fed by pellets, super dumb, and the slime factor is unreal.
Anytime you can tie 2x on a fly and catch a fish over 20" is a little ridiculous.

That said, I love the scenery on the float and the fact that once a year or so I can go down and rake on some billionaires private property while his maintenance staff watches me and waits for me to bump a rock so they can pull out the .50 cal and blast a hole in my boat is kinda funny. I just think of it as my way of spreading the wealth!

The put-in sucks with snow..

Right before the big wave train in the canyon

Dumb pellet head

My buddy who was stuck in Wisconsin for 6 months finally got to come back and bend a rod, it was fun to see him get into one of the bigger fish

Note: This is not an easy row. There are a lot of irrigation drops and even at 700 the wave train in the canyon pushes you against the wall hard. You have to make a lot of moves at the beginning and there is serious carnage potential if you don't know what you're doing. This is the last place I'd ever want to flip a boat so if you aren't comfortable on the sticks I wouldn't mess with it. A lot of those irrigation drops will mess you up if you aren't ready for them.

·
Registered
434 Posts
DuckHunt said:
That said, I love the scenery on the float and the fact that once a year or so I can go down and rake on some billionaires private property while his maintenance staff watches me and waits for me to bump a rock so they can pull out the .50 cal and blast a hole in my boat is kinda funny. I just think of it as my way of spreading the wealth!
This! Good work!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
HAHA, great report! The canyon looks sick with that snow.

That first fish is smiling like the big dumb retard, errrrrrr, pellet head that it is! :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Haha - love the pellet head reference. I am going to have to use that one. Anyway, got to love raking those waters anyways. Great report and cool scenery pics!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I fished Pumphouse friday and it sucked high and brown soup for water. I noticed the Blue the way in and had a feeling we should have spent some time there. Oh well until next time

·
Registered
511 Posts
Showed the wife the pics; she wishes I had the pass on Saturday so I could have enjoyed the fun with ya. Pellet or not, that's a nice fish to play on the rod. And, anytime you can steal a fish from private water for a bit, that works for me.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
trout4steak said:
DuckHunt said:
THIS!
When I put in there last August I took my retired rock climbing rope and belay devise and lowered the boat that way. Not going to lie having the gear was awfully nice. Helped out another floater that way too!

With the gear I have, I bet it would have been much help with the snow.

With all else said, Guys NICE WORK! I will too mention that we spent to much time in the canyon. My next trip we will push through the canyon and spend most of the time back peddling in the jones property.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Best post that I've seen in a while! In fact, it makes me that much more motivated to get a drift boat or a raft ASAP, and it isn't for the "pellet heads."

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
ALSO, if you're going to lower a boat off a cliff such as the lower Blue put in. It's a good idea not to just lower off the front D-Ring but have a 3 D-Ring equalizer to weight the whole boat off 3 D-Rings vs. 1 D-Ring. Just an FYI.

Not talking sh1t but does that make since?

If you need more explication I'd be happy to elaborate more.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
http://youtu.be/LwAEXZA9ZmE

This is what I'm talking about. You can do this w/out carabiners and just 1 piece of rope w/ an over hand knot or a figure eight knot. But the principle is the same

I can elaborate more if need be, as I'm just using principle anchor building skills I've used in rock climbing, just the opposite.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Carp! Let me know the next time you go. I'll give you the key to put in at the Blue Valley Acres access. Much easier than putting in at the dam and you avoid all the small fish and crappy fishing in the canyon.

I think I'm heading up with a buddy next weekend, so if you and your friend want to floatilla it, let me know and we can hit the river.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
COCarp said:
ALSO, if you're going to lower a boat off a cliff such as the lower Blue put in. It's a good idea not to just lower off the front D-Ring but have a 3 D-Ring equalizer to weight the whole boat off 3 D-Rings vs. 1 D-Ring. Just an FYI.

Not talking sh1t but does that make since?

If you need more explication I'd be happy to elaborate more.
Carp- Thanks man, that totally makes sense. I have some old anchor rope laying around that I'll use to make an anchor for the next go around. We actually just the knot on the handle on the front of the boat which is plastic, but still probably not the best for it.

I know what you mean about spending too much time in the canyon, but I've done the float a few times and had some great days on dries in the canyon in July-big a$$ drake hatches and lots of wild fish eating dries. I think it's really either hit or miss- either it's on, or its not. I don't mind spending time in the canyon if there aren't many boats going down, but sometimes if you're on a mission for the pellet eaters it's good to get the first crack at the property. Luckily, we were the only boat on the water, and for good reason-the takeout was a mud bath and those potholes have gotten worse. The takeout is even more eroded than it has been in years past and you have to take it a good 100 yards past where the old take out was and then drag it back up that hill.

I'm kinda torn on this float. It's a hell of a lot of work for what it is. Between the put-in and the take out, you're already tired before you even row. And 14 miles of water where you're always busting you butt to make moves can take it out of you. Plus I always get that eerie feeling that someone is watching me and just waiting for me to f*ck up so they can bust out of the trees and tell me I'm doing something wrong.

Hence the buffs- if I'm going down that stretch, I'm going incognito so no one can see my face-HA!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the post. I floated this in a one man pontoon a couple weeks back. That is not recommended, by the way. I am lucky to have made it down the river without a swim. One guy in our group got a bath. He is probably still shivering. The rough water was all I could handle, I had very little time to fish. My main focus turned into survival. I caught one "Pellet Head" Awesome fish. That lead to the purchase of a raft. I like of chances of staying somewhat dry now, but the whole "Compound" thing freaks me out. The guys watching us from John Deere Gators was unsettling. Has there been history of serious trouble with these goons? I am sure they are not there for the fisherman's safety. Anybody had guns pointed at them or even shot at? What about arrested?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dorsal Fin said:
Thanks for the post. I floated this in a one man pontoon a couple weeks back. That is not recommended, by the way. I am lucky to have made it down the river without a swim. One guy in our group got a bath. He is probably still shivering. The rough water was all I could handle, I had very little time to fish. My main focus turned into survival. I caught one "Pellet Head" Awesome fish. That lead to the purchase of a raft. I like of chances of staying somewhat dry now, but the whole "Compound" thing freaks me out. The guys watching us from John Deere Gators was unsettling. Has there been history of serious trouble with these goons? I am sure they are not there for the fisherman's safety. Anybody had guns pointed at them or even shot at? What about arrested?
Wow...in a 1 man pontoon. Must have been tough, especially since you can't touch bottom or pull out to wade fish. I'm surprised you even managed to get one considering how fast the water was running.

In any case, the "goons" you refer to are people that work for the ranch. They are there to make sure nobody is trespassing on their property.

I think this perception of the "goons" is a wrong one. They are only there to protect their interests, and have no intention of harming you. If you flip, touch (including accidental bumps), or get out of your raft, they legally can and will have you arrested.

Just follow the rules, be respectful and simile and wave at them. Why would you feel threatened if you've done nothing wrong? No reason to let them intimidate you. It's legal to float, so float it and enjoy catching some huge fish that someone else paid for!

Nobody has ever been shot at, or had a gun pointed at them. But then again, maybe all these stories are a good thing...it keeps a lot of people off that river!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am glad to find out the ranch hands are just watching the property and calling the police if a tresspass happens. I would rather deal with the law than an angry land owner. Thanks for the Info.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts