Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I packed up and headed out on Friday 4/25 at 1:45. *By 4:15 or so, I had my cousin and his wife with me and we were on the water. When we got there, the wind was mild and air temp was 80 degrees. *We started fishing a corner of the lake that had 60-61 degree water, but couldn't seem to get a bite.. within an hour and a half, the wind had come up to about 15-20mph. *The air temp was still steady and the water temp had dropped to 57-58 degrees. *We fished HARD for the next 2.5 hours and never got a fish... Got 2 or so, maybe bites! *By the time we left, the water was 54-55 degrees. *The air temp was still over 70 degrees. *

SOOOO I ask ya, how the hell does the air temp stay higher than the water temp and you LOSE 5-6 degrees of water temp in 3.5-4 hours. *We marked fish in two areas THICK.... most suspended (some large fish on the bottom). *No fish landed.... While getting skunked is not a first, having the water do this was. I am hoping to hear some theories (I have my own) on the condition.

Sat AM we got up and got to the lake with my Father in Law and a few others in tow. *The water was 57-58 degrees as soon as we got on the water... so now, the water temp increased overnight by 2-3 degrees! I just don't get that! *I was amazed. *We got hits as soon as we got our lines in the water. *My father in law caught 2 big drum and lost 2 whites at the boat. The rest of us landed whites/drum.. My cousins' wife had the B&W kitty, but finally caught a sweeeeeet carp!!! we made her hold it for a pic!!! She eventually got off the snide and caught a couple whites. *

By the end of the day, water was 61-62 degrees. *Wind came up big time so we left and had a killer fish fry... *Here are the pics.

The last fish was the fattest 21" eye I have ever caught..

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Nice time out! The water temp dropped because the wind basically turned the lake over ...taking cooler water from the bottom of the lake and pushing it to the surface. That is a fat eye. Actually, I think I see spots on the dorsal..I'm guessing saugeye..

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Looks like a big ass Saugeye to me! Congrats. I am thinking about going there on Saturday depending on the weather?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice Jason. You left the back ground showing, I'm on my way now!
haha... No one will drive for that slow ass action! But if they do, don't blame me!!! We caught less than 2 fish per hour... was fun with the family though.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Nice eye.

I enjoyed the pics, thank you!

Thanks for the report, that place it on my to do list, looks like I'm still waiting for it to heat up a bit.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Nice report and pictures. My slow days are generally black and white as in the skunkeroo. Any chance the weird temps are the lake turning over?

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This. The scientific term is "upwelling".
Good info... I figured it was a type of turnover. The warmer water the next day had me confused though! I will remember the term... (yeah, right).

·
Registered
201 Posts
That might be the single most over-fished piece of shoreline in the state! We were on that shore last year for a weekend day in June and there were no less than a dozen boats anchored up. What a mess. Trollers would come through, folks drifting into other boats that were anchored, guys fishing from the shore and casting onto guys that were anchored. It was disheartening. We jigged our way through that mess and finally found walleyes in like 4 ft of water on a mud flat nearby. Two years back we trolled cranks along that rocky area and filled out a limit within 2 hrs. Had it almost to ourselves that weekday. Oh what a difference a year makes.

Good to hear that the lake is up. Last year that water was looking kind of nasty, like some of the less fortunate lakes in that general area turned before they pretty much died off (Nee Noshe and Nee Gronda come to mind).

FWIW, I think what you experienced with water temperature was just mixing of the deeper layers of water with the surface water as the wind picked up. Essentially wind driven surface currents causing mixing of the water with cooler water beneath the surface. But hey, what the heck do I know?!

Dogwood

1 - 18 of 18 Posts