Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it might be good to get a Spring Runoff thread going.

After an epic winter snow levels in the Northern half of Colorado are around 130-150% of usual, leaving us with a lot of snow and melt to consider.

What's everyone been seeing? Expecting? Fearing?

My understanding is that larger, lower elevation rivers like the Colorado are already starting to blown. While smaller, higher elevation rivers like the Roaring Fork and Arkansas are fishing pretty well as they resist run off.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The Rado is around 4500 cfs below the Fork. It is muddy and the caddis are coming off like crazy. a lot of that water isn't run-off though, they are dumping the lakes trying to prepare for what is coming. If it warms up fast it will be a monster, if cool weather continues we may have great water late into the summer. The roaring Fork is at about a 1000cfs, down by the confluence it is off-color, but up by Basalt it is in pretty good shape!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
They're dumping water out of a lot of reservoirs .... getting ready for the runoff...If it gets... and stays hot...watch out. It's too bad..as fast as the water is dropping a lot of the crappie, bass, white bass, and cats will have a bad spawn with eggs left high and dry, or not deep enough. The weeds are dying off along the edges..

For example, Brush Hollow is dropping daily. The ramp is out of the water, and there are no weeds in the lake to speak of..

·
Registered
434 Posts
It was real cold and actually snowed this last weekend in Durango so the Animas has been going down rather than up. Our snowpack is a little above average for this time of year while the flows are below average. Its sitting right around 600 cfs and really clear, which means the fishing has been great the past few weeks. Actually some of the best the Animas has ever fished for myself.

However it was warm yesterday and today and will be through the weekend so I am sure it will get blown out by the weekend.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Blue River in Silverthorne is holding at 450 cfs (for now....). Pretty high, but clear and still fishable. If you hook a good one you're still going swimming or hauling it in until it: a) snaps your line b) breaks your rod.

Warmer temps throughout the week. They should bump the flows now any day I would imagine. Somebody ask for chocolate milk?

·
Registered
95 Posts
With the warm weather we have been having I would think things are going to start rolling. Headed up north in the morning. Will report back. Hopefully it''s not blown out.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Even though runoff hasn't officially hit the poudre it is like it has started in town and the lower canyon because they are releasing so much water in anticipation of the big melt.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Seems like they are trying to almost completely drain Green Mtn Res in anticipation of the monster flows. Looks to be at around 30% of capacity.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So then....with a few of the reservoirs around being real low (and possibly pushing water out to accomodate more later) it seems to me that the flows on their tailwaters could be stable through run off....thoughts?

Trying to line up some fishing for during run off....limited selection/knowledge so far.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Poudre canyon was low on Saturday. Actually was pretty surprised by how low it was considering it had been warm all week. Super clear water. Fished from the lower canyon up to about the first catch and release section. All of it was very managable.

Went up to Bear Creek briefly yesterday and the little guy was starting to pick up a steam, but still very fishable.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I fished the Green in mid April and was surprised at a flow of 3000 cfs. That is more than twice of what we were accustom to seeing at this time. Now its running 8600.

How about the Mississippi in Memphis 1.5 million cfs. Now that's flow.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
hobiecat said:
They're dumping water out of a lot of reservoirs .... getting ready for the runoff...If it gets... and stays hot...watch out. It's too bad..as fast as the water is dropping a lot of the crappie, bass, white bass, and cats will have a bad spawn with eggs left high and dry, or not deep enough. The weeds are dying off along the edges..

For example, Brush Hollow is dropping daily. The ramp is out of the water, and there are no weeds in the lake to speak of..
You aren't kidding - Denver is dry as a bone, all the normal bass spawning structures are out of the water right now. Messed all the behavior up, I can't see a successful spawn from warm water species this year

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Edwardslocal said:
The Eagle river went from about 300 cfs on Friday, to 900 cfs today ( Monday ). Its going to get scary!
That was wild huh? The rado went to 8500 and the Fork over 2000. Today it rained ad snowed like crazy, let the fun begin!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Don't know/care what the flows are, but the Frying Pan was up all weekend and fished well. Made some holes really deep, fell in a couple of times and fished pants-less under my waders: that was interesting. Dries in the afternoon in slower water, chartreuse clouser minnow worked well on some fish. Nobody up there in the middle river.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm off to the Arkansas on Friday.....anyone have some suggestions for water that will be fishing well at the end of May?

I know its a ways off, just trying to forecast something.

My plan right now is to watch some of the tailwaters and then during the week prior to the 27/28/29th of May find out which has the most even, non rising spill....seem like a good plan?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts