Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
down here in pueblo it is easy to get crawlers, we just track them down in the dust. they are easy to spot because they have 3 tracks. one track is for the body and the ones on each side of the main track is the two water bottles they have to carry

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL that is funny and wrong at the same time! ;D :-X

I did not get as many crawlers tonight as I usually do. Perhaps a pint or so... (48?) I normally get a quart when I go out and pick this time of year. Dryness! :-\

I do have a frog that I feed them to; but I like to drift a crawler as much as the next guy. I have got back into bait in the last few years, after realizing that being an artificial only snob was sorta stupid and short sighted. I started fishing with bait again at the same time that I started fly fishing. ???

Bait is fun; it is its own unique thing. My only rule is I do not put the rod in a holder, I keep it in the hand. I do really well not gut-hooking fish this way. But I normally use four pound test to bait fish, no more than six, and small hooks. Even if a fish guts the hook, it is no big thing, I just cut the line.

·
Registered
991 Posts
swimbait said:
But I normally use four pound test to bait fish, no more than six, and small hooks. Even if a fish guts the hook, it is no big thing, I just cut the line.
Me too. I also find that if I use the small gold hooks by Eagle Claw (can't remember what they are called but they are like a little circle hook) I get more lip hooks and fewer swallows. And they'll hold a piece of crawler, or a little ball of power bait fine...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts