Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

Great fishery. Great memories. Had the pleasure of sharing a few more moments with friends and family this year. That's what it's all about, isn't it?

**All fish were either returned alive to the lake or made into delicious fish tacos.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First kid is a coworker's....the second is my nephew. They both managed to outfish their dads pretty badly (with a little help from me). I still have a couple of other kiddos to infect with the bug this year...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
foggymountainbreakdown said:
Man where did you scoop those 2 hearteds? That's my favorite beer ever.
I snuck a case across the Mississippi when I went back to Michigan for Christmas. I have about 3 left...they've been serving as victory cigars lately. I will have to wait for someone to bootleg another case for me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
CaddisShack--WTG puttin the kids on big fish. Sure was nice fishin with you and Miles that windy day. See you on the water. Good fishin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those are some nice fish. OK, so I don't get it. I've fly-fished since I was kid growing up in Idaho. Never once growing up have a I fly-fished a large reservoir from shore (sure mountain lakes, but never a reservoir). Lately though it seems like lots of people are posting pictures of this place with fly rods, whats the deal?

Is this a particular time of year that these big fish are close to shore? Are they hitting on the surface or are you using nymphs. This stuff makes me curious.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
benjicunney said:
Those are some nice fish. OK, so I don't get it. I've fly-fished since I was kid growing up in Idaho. Never once growing up have a I fly-fished a large reservoir from shore (sure mountain lakes, but never a reservoir). Lately though it seems like lots of people are posting pictures of this place with fly rods, whats the deal?

Is this a particular time of year that these big fish are close to shore? Are they hitting on the surface or are you using nymphs. This stuff makes me curious.
The 3 reservoirs in South Parks are unique fisheries that all over good, seasonal flyfishing from shore. This can be a short window, particularly at Antero because the weedbeds can make fishing (and landing) fish extremely difficult. This time of year, water temperature, lake structure and the spawning behavior of the fish make them very easy targets close-in. In a few more weeks, the fishing will be better from the belly boat and the fish will be keying in more on natural sources like chironomids and scuds instead of getting pissed off and blasting leeches and buggers.

99% of my fish this time of year come on leech patterns, and I will often run two leeches or buggers at a time. The rest of the year, I'll keep the leech as my top fly with a chironomid or scud trailing...until the calibaetis and damsel hatches anyway.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts