Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what does everyone use? Over the last three years I have kind of gotten stuck in my ways ::) But it works for me. I am always interested to see what kinds of soft plastics everyone is using?

I fish mostly from shore from now till early summer and this is what I mostly use during the daylight. Then switch to Jerkbaits once it is dark. I pretty much snap jig everything even in cold water! I like to snap spoons especially if the water is cold. A 1/4 oz Kroc is perfect for that task. I use mostly 4 and 5 inch Power minnows and Power Jerk shads on 1/4 oz and 3/8 oz Darter heads. Haven't used the Gulp baits much. What do you guys think of them? I would guess they would be a better choice if you were fishing slow.

Both Smallmouth and big Trout like those baits also!

I have experimented some with Swimbaits also, but have had very little success with them on Walleye's ??? But last fall Troy Colburn was fishing right next to me and was doing well with some kind of swimbait? Of course those fish were on a spree that night and crushing everything we threw. I have thrown the 5" Swim Shads they use all the time on InFisherman alot with almost no result ???

Look forward to seeing what everyone else has been experimenting with lately!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here are a few random different baits. Some became walleye baits unintentionally while fishing for smallies, but walleyes like'em too. I guess I fish with more crankbait/jerkbaits really. Need to open up my soft plastic arsenal a little more as some are kinda plain,(ie. fuzze grub, mistertwister) but why change if they work?

Sorry for the fuzzy distortion

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lungbuster said:
Here are a few random different baits. Some became walleye baits unintentionally while fishing for smallies, but walleyes like'em too. I guess I fish with more crankbait/jerkbaits really. Need to open up my soft plastic arsenal a little more as some are kinda plain,(ie. fuzze grub, mistertwister) but why change if they work?

Sorry for the fuzzy distortion

Another good bait for both bass and walleye is slow reeling a 4" Yamamota Grub on a 1/8 oz jig. Caught alot of fish over the years at Pueblo doing that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Theres a Gulp! alive minnow in my pic(one with red finesse circle hook).
Sorry shoulda mentioned that. Ive had mixed results with them. Sometimes it seems fish really key in on them, other times, there no different than any other soft plastic.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lungbuster said:
Theres a Gulp! alive minnow in my pic(one with red finesse circle hook).
Sorry shoulda mentioned that. Ive had mixed results with them. Sometimes it seems fish really key in on them, other times, there no different than any other soft plastic.
I would imagine the Gulp would be more important if you were trying to replace livebait?

·
Registered
72 Posts
yea, Ive never fished minnows and gulp! side by side, but I guess if you didnt want the hassle with live minnows , gulp would be the next best.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I seem to be pretty walleye inept, it has been years since I even coaxed one in to biting, but I did fish gulp minnnows side by side with my buddy using live minnows through the ice, and we went fish for fish. I think I might have even bested him in pure numbers, but his last fish of the day got mine by an inch giving him biggest for the day. Those were not even the gulp alive ones, just the gulp in the plastic bag off the wall. I am a huge fan of the gulp products, and almost always have one rigged on a 1/4 oz. jig head nearby. They are great for picking up lost bites.

dave

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
longdraw said:
Hey Neal, if you need some more of those ringworms lemme know... I have thousands. ;)
Those are from Venom. Everything seems to like them!

Two springs ago when they opened the valves at Chatfield I experimented with drifting them in the current down stream from the dam. Just like they do on the Mississippi and other rivers. And they worked ;D

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Trout said:
Neal do you tip your spoons and jigs or just plain.
I can answer this one since I have seen it first hand (no pun intended)...he pretty much just puts chunks of his own flesh (mostly hand and finger flesh) on his hooks to tip them with...it doesnt always start out that way...just seems to end up that way...

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
nice. I will keep that in mind, neal.

I'm not the walleye lord that some people are, but I will say that I have caught a few sauggies at J-mart on shad swimbaits. they were the only ones that saved me from a 200 mile skunk...

what do you mean by "snap jigging"?

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
zman said:
Trout said:
Neal do you tip your spoons and jigs or just plain.
I can answer this one since I have seen it first hand (no pun intended)...he pretty much just puts chunks of his own flesh (mostly hand and finger flesh) on his hooks to tip them with...it doesnt always start out that way...just seems to end up that way...
:D :D

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Zman never miss's a chance to remind me of the two times I hooked myself :mad: He did drive out to Chatfield at Midnight with the wire cutters to help me out ;D Of course the second time at Glendo, i was trying to remove a frickin Carp that had just munched his Flicker Shad :(

Snap jigging is just letting your fluke or spoon hit the bottom, then snapping it off the bottom. When it falls back to the bottom, you just snap it again. Never put bait on your hooks, because that will ruin the action of your spoon. It is a visual thing! Walleye and Pike seem wired to hit things that flutter down in front of them. Even in cold water It is also a great way to cover water. Usually you will just feel a tick when they hit. Or you will lift your rod to snap and they will be there.

Works anytime you are fishing somewhere that isn't to rocky. If you fish from shore alot, like I do it is a very valuable tool to put in your arsenal!!!!

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Its really only been twice?!...just seems like a half a dozen...

·
Registered
24,499 Posts
Not really...that one at midnight one made me want to barf...I never seen anyone hook their hand and have it come out their mid section...that one was really bad...we cut it off and you went back to fishing...it was so bad the doc had problems removing it the next morning if I remember right...I think I brought Vicodin that I never used for my wisdom teeth...and that helped ya...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts