Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to our kids favorite fishing hole in Colorado Springs last nite about 5:30 pm and within 30 mins caught 8 nice rainbow stockers with some small ones.  All in all caught over 14 or 15 'bows with-in the 45 mins we were there.  We were using plastice bobbers with flies, and they were nailing them pretty hard.  A bunch of other guys were fishing on the bottom with Power bait and were pulling them in just about every 3-5 minutes.  They kept most of theirs, we released all ours - to catch them another day.  Great place for kids to enjoy some fishing, can't say catching is guaranteed, but it is pretty close.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Re: 'Springs Trout fishing

This quail lake? Its always good when the microdudes are catching fish, thats what I love about stocker trout.

·
Registered
279 Posts

That is some crazy trout action. My wife and me got into some brooders that were 17-20" long at Barbour Ponds about a week and a half ago but we only caught five. So you were really hammering them. Great job!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Oh yeh, I forgot to mention the name - it is Quail Lake. but so far the most I have seen is about 10-15 people fishing there, mostly bottom fishing. But they keep them and some take more than their limit. I talked to a few about it and they said that they would not get caught, next time I will watch and see what care they put the fish into and take down some plate numbers. I know it sounds mean, but like they say "poaching is stealing".

·
Registered
279 Posts

You get 'em, islandfishrman! People need to abide by rules so EVERYONE can enjoy the sport of fishing!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

islandfishrman said:
Oh yeh, I forgot to mention the name - it is Quail Lake. but so far the most I have seen is about 10-15 people fishing there, mostly bottom fishing. But they keep them and some take more than their limit. I talked to a few about it and they said that they would not get caught, next time I will watch and see what care they put the fish into and take down some plate numbers. I know it sounds mean, but like they say "poaching is stealing".
(719)227-5200 is the number to the DOW office here in the springs.

·
Registered
249 Posts

Where do you fish. What part of the lake is what I mean. Last time I went we got SKUNKED!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

Craig I usually have good luck there off the rip rap or the first dock by the rip rap.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts

Craig N said:
Whats the rip rap? is it all the rocks stacked up on 1 side?
Yes when ever you hear someone say rip rap they are talking about shore of rocks that go down into the water.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We usually fish between the two piers, but towards the evening it is best to hit the shallower water just past the little boat ramp.

We went last nite and hooked up with about 10 stockers and 1 perch. It was fun while it lasted. But once darkness fell, so did the fish. I heard one guy talking about using "chemlights" or "lightsticks" are those still legal, thought they made it illegal as they were artificial lights. Shed some light on the subject.

THANKS

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think you just put the chemlight on the end of your pole to let you know when you get a hit.Could be wrong though.

lyn

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Use of artificial lights is acceptable Colorado. (for fishing)

Look on page 4, Section #104, A, 9. In the Colorado fishing regs. I do not believe it changed for 2006

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts