Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this technique? Been researching it a little lately, and it is common for clear water, pressured fish, and when they just aren't very active. Sounds like guys do it from prespawn through postspawn, but was thinking maybe it would be something worth doing in the winter?? Or are bass just too deep and not really suspended? Cannot believe how highly regarded this technique is, it's getting a ton of praise.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Is it really more of a technique rather than a lure? I know light line is involved but is there really that much more to it

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it really more of a technique rather than a lure? I know light line is involved but is there really that much more to it
Fair point, it also seems like most people just use a very slow steady retrieve and maybe throw in some pauses to get it to roll/flutter down. Pretty simple, but I keep hearing it is ultra finesse and difficult to master, not sure what I am missing there.

Dude, Bass? Really?
I still can't bring myself to icefish, and I am getting sooooooo bored. Still have a couple brutal months left. :mad: Oh, and bass are awesome.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Lol 2nd season with spybaiting. Walleye likem so i likem. Was just playing around with that bait on ice. Guess it worked

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I still can't bring myself to icefish, and I am getting sooooooo bored. Still have a couple brutal months left. :mad: Oh, and bass are awesome.
March is right around the corner!! I'm in the same boat as you, I wouldn't be against ice fishing but have no equipment and am busy enough with school. Plus pulling slimers out of a hole doesn't sound that fun, turn those slimers to walleye or pike and you would likely change my mind. I have enough things I need to buy for soft water next season I figure I'll just suffer for a couple months and save some money/ focus on school

·
Registered
24,568 Posts

Outstanding job!...I tried them a couple of times last summer with no luck...but i usually tried them during slow times...mind if I ask how you fish them thru the ice?...and noworries if u dont want to answer...

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
If you aren't hooking fish on the drop your missing half your hits.
This goes for casting spoons/kasties, and jigs, or verticle jigging. Skybaiting is just a way to hit fish on the drop with a minnow plug/crank type bait.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
What fordo said...

·
Registered
988 Posts
The bait I use wobbles on the fall and with a forward pull the propellers spin. Drop let it sink, pull 3-4 ft, repeat. Depending on the bait you use it will vary. Sometimes you'll get a hit on the fall and other times it will be on the pull. Kinda like open water except its a vertical presentation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts