Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying one. Anybody try one yet?

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You all broke?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I have 4 of the "EYECON" walleye spinning rods... They are GREAT !

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I guess I can ask "santa" for an "upgrade" LOL !

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, it's safe to say you all didn't buy a Victory rod? I guess I won't either.

Maybe a new fly rod would be better.

·
Registered
16,853 Posts
You need certain skills to wield a spinning rod, Pete-

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The other day I taught a baboon to cast a spinning rod. It only took 5 min.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Victory would have been another one knucklehead. Don't you have more than one rod?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think you should get one ,then next year when they come out with the loser rod for a mere two hundred you will have a set. seriously though st croix has great rods so if you like the feel and you want one get it and tell the rest of us how you like it

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem is I don't know how it feels. I have to go by reviews. No spin rods are sold near me. I buy everything online.

I decided to not get it. I was just curious if any of you had one. The combo of SCIII and SCVI graphite sounded interesting. It's a really light rod that supposed to be pretty sensitive without buying one of the high end overpriced rods.

Carry on.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah hell. I have to give one a try. I just ordered the 6' 10" ML. I'll use a small bubble and streamers. Maybe small Panther Martins too.
My vision is so bad now I can't see fly fishing flies on the water anymore. A softer spin rod suits an old fart better.
I'll make some Montera Marvels and fish in honor of Guy my best friend who was taken at too young of an age.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
congratulations, hope you enjoy it let us know how it is,im sure you'll like it I love my higher end rods but hate using them cause im afraid ill break them, my go to rod is a falcon bass rod use it for everything

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That plan didn't work out. I bought it from Dick's. Bad mistake. We're talking about an almost 7' one piece rod. It needs to be put in a hard tube to be shipped safely. They just through it in the longest cardboard box i've ever seen. It wasn't very thick and was quite flexible. All that held the box straight was the rod. When I got it the box was folded in half and of course the rod was broke in half.
I called up Dick's and told them what I thought of their shipping department. She sent me a return label and will give me a refund. No way will I let them ship me another rod. It will probably be 2 weeks before money is back in my bank account. It will give me time to think about what i'm going to do. This is the 2nd one piece rod to break on me. The other one was broke in the elevator in my building. I couldn't get turned around fast enough and the tip got caught in the door when it closed. Tip broke off. The only two rods i've broke in 70 years of fishing and it happened within 2 weeks of each other. I'll be buying a 2 piece next time.

That's why I like fly rods. 4 piece in a nice secure tube.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
dont beat yourself up we've all broken a rod or two I once left my fly rod on the back of my bumper drove up to Cheeseman canyon only to find it gone when I got there went out and purchased a new rod only to find the original tuck under the bumper. ive got several stories like that but I do know bass pro ,cabbalas and even st croix sends there rods in a hard cardboard tube

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered one of the ML in from Cabelas. It was broken on arrival too. It was taped on the wrong end, on the tip and hung it from that in the tube.
Ordered another one in, it arrived today, properly taped on the butt of the handle instead, so the tip doesn't smash into the end of the tube

Anyway you don't want my uneducated opinion about rods, and I haven't fished with it yet anyway. Kinda interesting that 2 out of 2 people here have received a broken one.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I stopped buying rods from Cabela's. They do put it in a study cardboard tube but the ones I got were just flopping around in the tube. They used to pack them in real good until Bass Pro bought them.
Dick's was sure to break the rod by putting the rod in a thin 7' long box. I wish I was here when Fedex delivered it. He knew something had to be broken with the box folded in half.

Yes, tell me how it cast when you try it. I'm holding off buying anything until I get my refund.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts