Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to st. vrain by golden ponds on friday and caught two 10-12"ers but i don't know what they were. They look like white fish from all the pictures on the internet but everywhere it says that they are only in yampa, white river etc. Does anybody have a whitefish picture ???These looked like trout but with sucker mouth. I would eat it, (it looked good) :pbut not until I know what it is. Biting on minnow looking jig bounced off the bottom and rolled downstream real slow.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
me and a friend fished that creek about a month ago and caught alot of those they are freshwater chub there not whirfish and personally i wouldnt eat them

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey great pics jay in parker. And those pics of the fish were great too :eek: LOL I'm thinking that is what I got unless someone comes out and says there is no way I caught one of THOSE THERE. Pretty good fishing though. I'm gonna try to go back out today. Thxs again

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
freshwater chub, ay? Now c'mon! ::)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are we talking about the same spot? Where is wolford Res? What lake?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
yeah were talking the same spot i said i;ve caught them by wolford when i was at golden ponds a couple weeks ago i walked back there caude u cross that bridge and theres a couple nice pools in that section

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where is wolford res? All I can find is kremmling colorado for wolford.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The first time I fished Boulder Creek in the plains east of town I landed about a half dozen chub.  I almost had a naive friend convinced they were brown trout, and out of my benevolence I would let him keep all the “trout” for dinner.  I let him know the truth once he was about to actually keep one.  

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey, I'm not saying you aint right/I'm just making sure we are on the same page O0

·
Registered
702 Posts
These chubs are in all of the rivers, creeks, ditches and canals all along the front range. I catch them quite consistently in the Big Thompson both on rod and reel and in minnow traps (they make great walleye bait). I have never known these fish to reach lengths of over six inches or so. They have the slender body make of a trout, a silvery color, a downword facing mouth. Their heads seem very large for the body and the mouth is not quite a "sucker" mouth. These chubs are kind of slimy so I don't inspect them as much as I should, such as fin location and fin types.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
YOU COULDN'T HAVE DESCRIBED IT BETTER
DEFINITLY SLIMY!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts