Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished there at St. Vrain State Park, got there around 6:30am. We first tried Coot, saw a bunch of some sort of fish eating bugs on the surface, or breaching at the surface. Don't think they were Trout cuz there was way too many of them and no nibbles at all at our delicious oh so appetizing real worms. Stayed there for about an hour, tried Pintail and saw two disturbing Carp skeletons. Saw a few fish breaching the surface, not much action, looked like a dark poisonous pond.

Walked back to car, parked at Sandpiper. Tried Mallard, got a nibble but nothing more. Got bored, moved to Sand Piper. Tried fishing at a spot that I THOUGHT (like at least one or two of those camping car thingies in length, seriously plenty of space) was plenty far from the people on the handicap dock thingy, but apparently not. I somehow got caught in one of their lines. I cast straight ahead of me, but I guess one of them cast perpendicular to mine before we got there. So I got YELLED at. Wow, sheesh calm down, I did not see your line and it not the end of the world. :mad:

So we left and made our way to the other side of the pond. Yea. Tons of nibbles used all 30 worms and only caught 4 out of the many many (90+?) nibbles. My sister caught 1 of the Rainbows, and 1 Bluegill. I managed to catch 2 blue gills. Happens they probably were Bluegills and not the Trouts that I saw jumping for bugs. Them bluegills look different that one I caught at Golden Ponds when I was younger. These were a lot smaller and paler with purple hue on their backs!!!

Left around 1:30pm due to hunger. Went to Panda Express for lunch, then went home to figure out what the heck was going on with our setting the hook problem. Went to Walmart Supercenter around 4:15pm to buy another thing of worms and a jar of Powerbait, then headed back to the St. Vrain.

Went back to our spot where we caught the blue gills. I went with worms and my sister went with the powerbait. Nothing for me on a worm, but then my sister caught a trout. Wanted to take a picture but she sucks at holding fish and so the Trout flopped out of her hands and back into the water. After that I wanted to try a Powerbait, we never got these things to work before. Placed a powerbait on hook, nothing happening. Then later my sister catches another Trout, a nice one. About 12" long. Unfortunately, he swallowed the stuff deep.

Not much action going on for me, we were about to leave around 6:30pm-ish when the wind picked up like crazy!!!After a good long minutes I managed to catch something. Yep. Just right about when we were about to leave.

Okay day I guess, ecstatic that the trout that we/can caught were big like in the grocery store size. Gonna try it again some other time. Guess I gotta try those Circle Hooks or that Hair Rig swimbait told me about.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Wow kewl report...stay after it...awesome pictures!!!...that bitty craw is awesome!...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
were you on the east side of the lake. Mckaden and I got there as soon as the wind started and he got 4 casts in and we called it a day. the lake on the other side of the ditch is dead they shocked it last fall they are going to do some work over there. there also paving the road on the 14th so it will be hecktic to get in there.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I like the way you did your report...well done!

D.J.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts