Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving to Denver I always notice the St. Vrain river when Im on IH-25. Im thinking of fishing it next weekend. Does anyone know of any wadable areas and/or that produce?...ive never fished it before...

Thanks for your help,
Pondfisher

·
Registered
267 Posts
that's my home turf! my house is about 200 yards from where the north st vrain meets the south! i know these rivers better than any other river in co.
once it leaves lyons, it's mostly private property. but above that, it's mostly public. rt. 7 follows the south up a good ways towards allenspark, rt 36 follows the north up a little bit towards estes. but if you REALLY want to know about the st. vrain, PM me and i may divulge some "secrets".
oh- i should mention that in the stretches above lyons that the roads follow, you will mostly find browns. way up in RMNP you will get into brookies and cuts. there are some rainbows throughout as well, but it's mostly browns. now is a great time to hit 'em. i wish you luck and let me know if there are any questions keeping you up nights.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info...Ive lived in Colorado for 3 years now and I have only fished the Poudre.....feel it is time to branch out. Hey John the Fisherman...Ill PM you next week sometime...thanks for the offer.

Pondfisher

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whats the best way to hit St Vrain from Ft Collins? Looking to fishing it Sun? Is the area of the river by IH 25 fishable?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fished the St Vrain today...it was very low...I could only find a handful of holes.  I caught 3 trout and hooked but lost one.  I used micro minnows/jigs and split shot and pistolpetes.I fished a couple of miles up in the canyon area.

All the fish I cought and saw in the water were small.  What a nice drive up though..beatuiful day...snowcapped mnts...

Biggest of the three

fingerling 1

fingerling 2

Fished this pond I saw on 66 on the way home...caught one small bass..while there a whole cadre of fly fisherman filed out of their SUV's and fished it for awhile......looking for trout I guess. No bites in the pond after an hour...went home.

Pondfisher

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems like the rivers around my area are all low. The poudre is almost dry in town..not sure about in the canyon....The Big Thompson looked low driving by...The st vrain...low......grrrrr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts