Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email from Bob Fisher from the DOW asking him to interpret the law about keeping 4 trout and then contininuing to fish and release all trout caught. The reason was because this Saturday the rangers at St. Vrain kicked a guy off the ice for keeping 4 trout and then continuing to fish with the intention of releasing all trout caught.

This is a misinterpretation of the law. You can keep fishing.

Here's a copy of the email from Bob Fisher of the DOW. I have also requested that Bob give them a call and set the record straight. By the way the rangers are at training now and won't be back until Thursday so you won't have to worry about them today or tomorrow.

If any of you want to challenge a ranger on Saturday just keep fishing. Have them give you a ticket, then go challenge it in court with Bob Fisher of the DOW present and go win one for the gipper.

Here's the email from Bob:

Hi Kevin, You may continue fishing after you have taken your limit but these fish must be immediately released. It is illegal to "cull" fish. Culling iswhere you release smaller fish for larger ones caught. If you catch a fish and are going to release it must be released immediately, as long as the fish are released immediately you can continue fishing. Thank you, Bob Bob FisherColorado Division of Wildlife6060 Broadway Denver Co, 80216

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So if you want a challenge on Saturday and do some civil disobedience go take my email. I can forward it to you from my hotmail account if you like. See what the rangers say about Bob Fisher's email since he's part of the group, DOW, that wrote the law, not some ranger hired at $12 per hour who thinks he knows the law.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be calling the rangers on Thursday when they are back from their training and talk with them about this issue. I also plan on calling the State Park headquarters today and discussing this with them. Maybe they can make their own rules up since they are in the State Parks system? Who knows?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
haha, dont let it get you down man... its not worth getting to worked up over it. Especially if they are in training, call let them know they were wrong in how they understood the regs, forward them the email from Bob and know you've done your part in making the rangers more knowledgeable about current fishing regulations.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's exactly what I was going to do ^-^ When I called the park office today I was calm, cool, and collected and will be on Thursday when I talk to the ranger.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
thankyou kevin... on st vrain report from fishmanlee, people said he was just doing his job..... i said that this ranger was abusing his athoirty. seems to me he wasnt doing his job and i was right. but dont get me wrong, but he still has the athority to arrest you.... and i wouldnt put it past him also epic is right too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no problem. Yeah they can still arrest you based on their interpretation of the law which is why I plan on having a civil conversation with the ranger on Thursday so that he understands the law. The booth attendant that answered the phone today said they both were at training. So maybe they are newbies and memorizing a bunch of regulations can be tough for a ranger so I'll take it easy on them. Just doing all this for anyone who is going fishing there this weekend and wants to keep fishing.

Maybe the ranger thinks he is doing good too because not so many fish get educated by being hooked?

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
o know we had all discussed it there on the ice and my previous bad day with *bump. didnt know he was in training, yet i will inform him if i am on the ice with 4 fish. u comin this saturday kev? bring littleman again. that little sled thing he has is sweet!

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
the ranger said to me "once you have 4 fish you CANNOT keep fishing, because once you hook the 5th of the same species you are over possession." sounds true and makes sense but i have never heard of that and been checked many times over the years and had my limit and cought another one right in front of the ranger, at a diff place. thx for clarifing (sp) kevin

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The booth attendant on the phone did not specify if they were newbies training just that they were going for more training today and tomorrow and would be back Thursday. For all we know they could have been rangers for 10 years and just needed some more pistol training. My brother in law is a cop and he always has to go for pistol training and target practice. But we'll give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they are going for newbie training. If so I hope they cover possession limit. Then it will be an easy conversation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pistol shooting has nothing to do with fishing but I think the rangers carry a handguns? Could be wrong. :)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
GrumpieGills said:
thankyou kevin... on st vrain report from fishmanlee, people said he was just doing his job..... i said that this ranger was abusing his athoirty. seems to me he wasnt doing his job and i was right. but dont get me wrong, but he still has the athority to arrest you.... and i wouldnt put it past him also epic is right too.
Authority to arrest him for what? BTW I was a seasonal ranger at Stagecoach in 93/94...Only State rangers who have been to the police academy can arrest people. At least that was what I was taught back then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Of all the State Parks and SWA's I have camped, fished or hiked at, St Vrain is the only place I have ever had an "encounter" with a ranger. I have had great conversations with DOW officers, local sheriff deputies and some rangers. Only at St Vrain did the ranger decide he needed to show his authority. (BTW, my dad was a deputy for many years) Camped there one weekend, quiet time is 10 pm, a few minutes after ten the ranger comes and threatens to arrest me and my wife for disorderly conduct. Our offense was to be sitting by the fire talking to each other in normal voices that couldn't be heard 20 feet away. We were shocked, especially when the officer walked a few yards away and stood beside a tree and "observed" us for another twenty minutes or so. We now avoid that park like the plague. I am sure the young ranger was only trying to do his job of making sure a middle aged couple did not disturb the sanctity of the park with a quiet conversation about the joys of life in Colorado.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The ranger in question was holstering a hand gun on his hip! And he did happen to give some one a speeding ticket for going 23mph half between the distance of the guard shack and teh road!
Kevin thanks for taking your time to educate us on our Liberties! This is where I find forums most important, and that is too learn! I find it best to know what my rights are when in debate with an officer of jursidiction! Most likely you will get no where with someone when telling them how to do there job! But you do have the right of freedom of speech, and they can't arrest you for imforming them of your rights!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts