Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't get to leave on Friday liked I hoped and got a late start on Saturday. Got on the ice about 10:30. Talk about snow, It's starting to look like winters used to up there. About 14" of it on the ice. Fished the points and coves on the South side of the lake targeting pike, fishing in 18' to 25' of water no luck. Tried whole sucker minnows and various other jigs and lures. Moved to a cove where I usually have some luck on bows and iced 14 ranging from 10 to 16 inches. Missed about twenty more. Very lite bites. All on a pink ratso tipped with a meal worm about a foot of the bottom.

Woke up early Sunday to another snow storm and steady winds so I went back to bed and didn't get to the ice until 8. Fished the channel across from the south boat ramp. Ankle deep slush walking out there and 6 more inches of snow. Fished in 20 feet of water. Dead sticked a whole sucker and a pink ratso on the other pole. Iced 6 bows, 10 to 14' and one small pike (14") all on the ratso. Quit about 1:00.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fished the lake 2.04.06 with some luck. We were hampered by the deep slush. I've been fishing that lake for 15 yrs and haven't seen it that slushy this early ever. Considering how deep the snow is on top, I don't expect it to get any better this season. Anyway, if you don't mind the slush, we did catch trout in the 16-18 " variety. Had fish on the Vex most of the time in 18 fow. Caught all on micro jigs tipped with crawlers.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
IceNutt-thanks for the report and welcome! What are the biggest trout and pike you've caught out of stagecoach?

Mojo, that water is maybe a little too deep for pike. Maybe. Still holds fish though. Try 10-16 fow there...bait 1 ft off the bottom OR 1 ft above the brush, whatever is there....bam...........Also, points are the best areas at stagecoach until later in the year, when the monsters move into the backs of bays and also the inlet area. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks tfb, I am just getting back into ice fishing (second season) so I am still learning. Need all the info and help I can get. Of all the times I have fished this lake, mostly soft water, I still have yet to catch a pike over five pounds. The odds are in my favor this year. The bigest trout I've caught runs around 3 lbs and I saw a 6 pounder through the ice last winter.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I THINK the biggest I caught in softwater in 05 was 32" is all. Might've been 33" or 30" though...I really can't remember for sure but I know it was in that area of length. Mostly 15-20" in some areas (1-2 pounds), and then in other areas I got many 24-28" fish, usually 3-6 pounds. One evening when I was fishing the inlet area I saw A BUNCH of 3 ft pike or thereabouts. They would follow in my buzzbait but not hit...they are more clever than their yampa counterparts :D I also about stepped on a monster...scary...I hooked a fish well over 40" for a split second as did my brother...both on buzzbaits. Basically, the big pike are in there, it's just that there are so many small pike that they get to your lures first. Not that small pike aren't fun, cuz they are. They are a blast! They are good eating too and you SHOULD keep some of these. I think I kept 12 from there in 05, but none over 22" and mostly smaller like 18".

Also, you are not using wire are you? That turns away many small pike and most all the big ones. When I began fishing for pike years ago, wire was always the mistake I made. I was there one day and caught probably 20-30 pike from sunup to noon or so, on buzzbaits and flukes (with a heavy floro leader), and another guy was fishing buzzbaits with a wire leader and had caught 0. I told him to tie it directly to his line and boom! He got a northern shortly thereafter. I can't stress this enough...IGNORE infisherman and DON'T use wire for pike.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, I never use a wire. 20 lbs braided (what ever is on sale) and a 3' floro leader. My main problem is luck, but one of these days it will change. Until I got on this site I didn't know about buzz baits. Can't wait until spring to try them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts