Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rain+ Sleet+ Snow+Wind+Ski traffic+Slick roads+9 hours driving time=not very much fun. Picked the wrong day to hit stagecoach...we did manage to fish for about 3 hours from 10:30 to 1:30 but it was windy and cold and the fish were not biting. We were the only boat on the reservoir when we showed up and only saw one other boat when we left. When the snow started blowing sideways my wife threw in the towel which was good because I-70 going over the divide was a mess!! Anyways, my wife landed one fat 18-1/2" trout....we were after pike but only had a couple bites and one follow. That trout hit a big plastic craw that she picked up at bass pro shops the night before...she also picked up a new jacket (not yellow anymore), snow pants, and glacier gloves.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Re: Stagecoach 11-12

Great looking fish... Thats not a YELLOW jacket. :p

·
Registered
24,590 Posts

That is one tough lady!...

I almost went to Stagecoach last Thursday and Friday instead of Pueblo...I am glad I didnt...

·
Registered
7,704 Posts

Rain, sleet, snow, wind, ski traffic, slick roads, and a nine hour drive. That photo looks like it was well worth it.  ;D

Nice report.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

Those are the quality trout that are in stagecoach. Almost all of them are at least 15" (although I managed to catch an 8" brown when I was there). The trout should continue to bite well if you can pick a good day to fish for them, and the pike should bite just a bit until iceoff. Your best bet right now is in the shallow weedy areas with dead sucker minnows suspended 3 feet or so under a bobber. Moving baits probably won't pick as many up. when icefishing hits look for bows on 1 specific dropoff that is from 15 ft to 35 ft. They will be suspended along here. The pike should be shallow near the weeds early on and should be willing to hit jigs and deadbaits. As the season progresses you should fish deadbaits in deep water off of rocky points for the pike. (deep water meaning 1 ft above the bottom on 15-30 ft deep areas).
I bet that fish was tasty and the meat was very orange.
Nice catch.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts

Stagecoach is over (kinda) by Steamboat right ? I'd really like to try for Pike once more this year.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

Hey Everyone...I'm new to the forum but I must say its great. I fish the Yampa valley very hard for Pike. The river and Stagecoach have produced a 40" inch pike for me each of the last 3 years. I fly fish for them but I think when it comes to pike just getting the bait, lure or fly of choice in their line of vision is the most important thing. To many people fish empty water for to long. Pike are very agressive fish and if you've been fishing an area for longer then 30 minutes with no results, no one's home. Now you'll say I see them all the time and I put my fly right infront of them and nothing. Often times, these fish that are in the shallows are what i call sunbathers. They are heating up their bodies to speed up their digestive metabolism. They are always worth a few casts but my best advice would be to keep moving and work water that has some distinct features. There are still a lot of pike in stagecoach. I'll give you one spot that I know 9 out of ten times will always hold a fish. Suprisingly, its right by the dam. If you walk out from the picnic table you will see a shallow rock point. Fish the edges of that point! It always seems to yield aleast one for me. Anyway, the pike season is definetely winding down with water temps falling into the 40's so get 'em well you can.

Theo

·
Registered
418 Posts

Having never been to the Yampa I`d like a few pointers if you might. Are there walkable stretches that are public or do I have to float to the good spots?? I`ve caught lots of pike in Minnesota but that has been all lake environments. The thought of pike in a rather fast moving stream just does`nt seem to fit. Can you help me enjoy `pike in the Yampa`?? E-mail me privately if you`d like. I`m a C&R guy. Thanks for any help you`d be willing to pass on. Jeff , aka racer

·
Registered
2,927 Posts

racer said:
Having never been to the Yampa I`d like a few pointers if you might. Are there walkable stretches that are public or do I have to float to the good spots?? I`ve caught lots of pike in Minnesota but that has been all lake environments. The thought of pike in a rather fast moving stream just does`nt seem to fit. Can you help me enjoy `pike in the Yampa`?? E-mail me privately if you`d like. I`m a C&R guy. Thanks for any help you`d be willing to pass on. Jeff , aka racer
many of the areas that hold pike in the yampa are slow, meandering holes. In fact, that is primarily what the yampa is where it contains these northerns. The best hole however in a secret place I will not divulge has a riffle and rocks up top. It then meanders down. We always catch many pike over 30" there. I caught a 40" there also. However, generally the pike on the yampa come near grass edges during the evening. Keep moving, there are not near as many pike as there used to be in this river but the ones remaining are almost always at least 30". MANY bigger. The pike on the yampa will hit again and again and again until you catch them usually. I had one bite of a #6 panther of mine, threw a #15 and got the same fish 4 casts later, after catching a 24" and a couple around 30" in the same hole. It was a 40", the same one mentioned above. My bro was buzzbait fishing, had one miss his buzzer multiple times, and when he lifted it out of the water at his feet, the pike jumped.
Stagecoach pike are very easy. Buzzbaits and zoom superflukes. Fish the shallow coves and move around. You will catch dozens. Largest landed was a 31" by me, but my bro and I each lost a massive gator of at least 20 pounds. Most are 15-22".
It is odd, the pike are so easy to catch in those two fisheries but difficult anywhere else I have fished in the state. Of course, those areas have a low density of pike.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks TFB. I`ve seen and caught some really nice gators in Spinney and 11Mile but not from a stream. It will be fun to branch-out a bit next summer...........provided the DOW leaves the Yampa lone.
Tight lines, Jeff

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
racer said:
Thanks TFB. I`ve seen and caught some really nice gators in Spinney and 11Mile but not from a stream. It will be fun to branch-out a bit next summer...........provided the DOW leaves the Yampa lone.
Tight lines, Jeff
It doesn't matter how hard they try with those pike removals. So many people just dump em right back in the river anyway. Also, the pike are so spread out and fairly thick in that river it wouldn't matter if they did removals for 20 more years I doubt it would have much worse of an impact. They already did the most damage they could have when the pike were thicker in there. The last few years pike fishing hasn't declined any. It is much worse from the peak year of 1999 though.

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Pike are like suckers with teeth...the DOW couldnt get rid of them if they tried...they will show back up...they cant retenone the entire Yampa...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts