·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[Personal Message (Online)]
stagecoach 12/30 and 12/31
« on: Today at 07:22 PM »
[Reply with quote] [Modify message]
well, got to stagecoach around 4:30-5:00 pm on fri night. Iceintheveins and I hurried down to catch some trout. We fished right in front of the marina where everyone was fishing. We heard that they were biting excellent that morning but had really tapered off toward the afternoon. everyone else was leaving. Having nightfished a bunch this year through the ice, especially for trout, we decided to give it a try. In just over an hour, ice caught 12 and I caught 6. All were 12-14" and fat, except ice caught 3 that were 16-17" and fat and I caught a fat 18.5". Set up tipups for pike and had a flag but it was too dark to see the flag, duh! [Tongue] [Cool] Didn't get the fish obviously.
Got up early the next morning and fished the same spot. We started catching a few trout immediately, although it was slower than the night before because it was post storm. We each had about 3 nice trout 12-16" when we had a flag! We ran over and saw the spool turning like crazy. As soon as I got to my knees to get the fish, it stopped spinning. We waited a few min as oftentimes pike will just sit on it or come back but he never came back. We brought it up and the anchovie was gone. This tipup was set back in the bay so we decided to move back there. Mistake. My dad came down and tried for a while, to no avail, to ice some trout. The trout were very finicky and you really needed a sonar to get them to strike, as he didn't have one he was SOL. You needed to attract them by jiggles and movement but when they got within 1 ft of it moving it would make them leave. You had to hold it still and then after a bit they would almost always hit. ice and I eac caught 3 or 4 more trout back in that cove and I got a surprise, when jigging a plain nightcrawler I caught a northern pike. We fished there for a while longer but by 12:00 the fish had definitely left. We went to a couple of known points that are towards the main lake. They form a small inside turn too so we knew this to be a prime pike spot cuz of cover, (sticks and rocks near bottom) crayfish, and access to deep water where a lot of the pike haunt during the day. The trout fishing was much better here as well. I caught a 17" trout immediately on a jigging rap. shortly thereafter, we had a flag. I hooked it and gave it to my dad and he caught a northern. Next, iceintheveins caught a pike jigging with a pink shrimpo tipped with a waxy. After that, we had another flag and it was my turn! I ran over and hooked it and after a good battle got another northern pike. We all caught some more trout (even my dad finally iced a trout!) and then iceintheveins got another pike jigging. A few minutes after, I had on a green purist tipped with a waxy and I was absolutely crushed! The fish was very, very, very heavy. My rod was bent in a horse shoe! He got 30 yards of my line and then kindly bit off. I brought it up to find the frail line markings of a northern. By the feel of him, he was a massive one. After I lost my purist, I couldn't find a lure the trout would hit while iceintheveins was still hammering them. I finally started making the blue ratso glow and as it got later and dark, we both started getting nice bows on every drop. We got them up to about 19". we decided to hit the sack even though the fish were still biting like crazy. We thought we would do well tomorrow.
We got up today and the wind was howling and it was snowing sideways! To heck with it, we thought, and went back to sleep. We kept tabs on it the next 3 hours and it still didn't die down. After that, we picked up and left.
Ice was 6-10" thick and in some areas very slushy. 6" of snow on the ice probably more now. Trout were biting in 10-20 feet of water near the bottom, but above the brush. Cover was always good to find. The pike related to rocky points a lot and a few remain in the bays. Best lures were shrimpos, ratsos, and purists. Anything non-aggressive. Pike bit well on those same lures and also on 5-6" anchovies rigged above the brush or rocks on tipups.

Later,
TFB

PS: none of the northerns landed were above 24.5" so they weren't exactly brutes :p

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A purist is another jig by custom jigs and spins. They are fairly small. The one I used was green; I don't know if there are other colors or not. I would guess the look like a very large plankton to the fish. I think. lol I don't know but they work well. I got about 200 perch on them this year, some trout, some bluegill, and lost that fish at stagecoach I am positive was a large pike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts