Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Landed 16 stocker bows and 7 hammerhandle sized pike between me and the wife....nothing big but lots of action...kept 4 of the trout for the pan. Started fishing about 9:00 throwing jerks, spinners,spoons and plastics for pike along county road 18...nothing. Than headed down to the inlet and nailed the trout on typical hardware(kastmasters, taz devils, bouyants). Had a bite on every other cast for about an hour and a half...caught the pike on the same lures with some others on spoons. Everybody was catching fish didn't matter what you were throwing. Threw on some larger lures to try and catch a larger sized pike and keep the smaller ones off but kept catching smaller pike. Left about 4:00.

Great weather, water is stained from run off, did not see any big ones. Water Temp ranged from about 55 to 59 degrees.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I was up there too and started at the inlet. Usually Stagecoach is better with a flyrod but I think the off color had something to do with it. Switched over to tube jigs and took a while to find the right color. Once we found it the fishing was good for the smaller rainbows.
Caught a nice pike and a couple of 18-19 in rainbows too.
Moved to the south boat ramp and caught a few stockers.
Ended up back at the inlet just before dark and the water had become more off color.
Saw a guy in the morning shore fishing who left with his four rainbows and saw him back again around dark with another 4 rainbows.
All in all the two of us caught about 40 but size was small
by Stagecoach standards. The weather was beautiful as was the surroundings. Just the attitude adjustment I needed after a long week.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
When I was there in November of 2005 the stocking truck was there dumping trout in. We talked to the guy and just that day they had put in 6,000 catchable size trout (between 8 and 12 Inches). Most of the trout showing up these days are those stockers. If you can weed through the smaller fish, there are some big trout in there.

The pike are only getting bigger after the free buffet of trout!! Not to mention the abundance of oversized crawfish in there.

The coach is packed full of big girthy fish.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hammer said:
I saw a crawfish the size of a lobster out there. It was so big it had a pike hanging out of it's mouth.
good one hammer made me laugh :D

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two of the trout we caught had been attacked by pike. We also saw a HUGE trout swimming around in the shallows of Lot 14 cove. I casted past it and my rapala head butted the fish right in the side on the retrieve and it didn't even flinch. We usually do good fishing with big plastic craws on the bottom or used as a trailer but on saturday the only thing that worked for us were metallic flashy lures.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
i like stagecoach whens the best time to catch pike there i was there last july caught 12 in one day i;ve never caught any trout there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts