Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to the lake about 8:00 a.m. Was fishing from the boat w/ my wife. The goal was to catch a state record pike but that did not happen. We started at the inlet , very murky,stained water. Threw spinnerbaits, mepps bucktails,spoons, rapalas, twister tails....nothing. We saw people people bait fishing from shore catching fish. The wind picked up so we headed to the South Bay w/ the boat ramp....nothing. The wind slowed down around noon so we decided to fish for trout in the same bay...nothing. We threw on some flashers and decided to troll down to the inlet. My wife caught a 13" bow on a rapala floater "hot steel color" I threw on a bigger floater in same color and caught two 15" bows. We anchored down in the inlet and I caught a hammerhandle pike on a firetiger mepps spinner size 5. Had some more hits and follows but nothing big. We trolled some more and I caught another pike and trout on a "hot steel" shad rap....small pike maybe 16-17". We then saw something floating in the water and checked it out. It was a HUGE dead pike, looked like it had been dead for a day or two. It was stiff and bent and measured in at 43" could have been a state record, we looked for a tag but did not see one. We got excited and threw some big lures on and fished for another two hours with no bites. Ended the day with my wife catching another fat healthy 15" trout on a "hot steel" shad rap.

Final tally- 5 trout, 2 small pike

Kept a couple of the trout , they were really good!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hey Yellow Jackets!

Good to see you`re up and at `em ! No Ice....NOW WHAT? :)

Thanks for the report from StageCoach. I`ve been dying to try that lake for years but never knew much about it. I have a Nissan Pathfinder that pulls a 17` aluminum boat. How are the boat ramps if any? I would like to get up that way this summer.....maybe we could hook-up?

Gotta be better than Wolford thru the ice! ::) Jeff

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
hmmm, fishing report said that it was fishing excellent?? maybe they are just trying to get their campsites full. we've never seen a (dow)ified fishing report before have we??? of course not to be confused with falsified.

·
Banned
487 Posts
jamiehughes said:
hmmm, fishing report said that it was fishing excellent?? maybe they are just trying to get their campsites full. we've never seen a   (dow)ified fishing report before have we??? of course not to be confused with falsified.
LMAO :D :D :D. Their reports are NEVER correct.

·
Banned
487 Posts
jamiehughes said:
i better quit complaining about the dow as i already got a personal message because of my comments about some of the excellent ecology minded fisherman at the rocky mtn arsenal.
I don't understand why we should be criticized for bashing the DOW for things they do poorly and then backing it up. Maybe those that do just don't understand what really goes on.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Racer,

There are two boat ramps and they are both good for any size boat, I have a 17' foot aluminum bass boat with a 50 hp motor....the only thing about the lake is they allow water maggots and skiers but we only saw a couple and most of the lake is wakeless....the inlet has about as much wakeless area as chatfield..and because it is so far from Denver I don't think it could get close to the crazy circus at chatfield.

As far as the DOW is concerned with the fishing report I can't say anything because that was our first open water trip so we still need to learn where the hot spots are. We did buy everything the report recommended and more...Pike lures are $$

We are looking to chase some pike again this weekend somewhere...was thinking 11 mile/spinney but the marina report said 11 mile was only fair and I haven't heard anything on spinney pike. We might try Willams fork, heard the pike were hitting there.

Racer...give me a shout when you go to stagecoach or any other lake..late

1 - 8 of 8 Posts