Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we landed hundreds of pike (literally)....probably 80% of them were 18-20" fairly skinny fish and the other 20% were 24-28" fat fish. Caught a few trout on the pike lures up to 20"...pike were scattered, generally in water around 5 feet deep, where muddy water meets clear water. Rapala X-Raps fished VIOLENTLY were the lure of choice....3 slashes 1 2 sec pause, repeat. Buzzbaits, swimbaits, Zoom superflukes,and trolled panther martins were all effective. I harvested 10 northerns (5 of the 24-28" variety and 5 of the 18-20" variety) and 2 rainbows over the trip, all fish were stuffed full of crawdads, scuds, and nymphs of some kind. we each lost at least 1 large pike, and I lost 2. One of them was around 36", and I never saw the other one. The weather was terrible...too windy, very cold...turned the pike off a bit, but the fishing was still great if you knew what to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stagecoach is roughly 3 hrs from grand junction, probably about the same from denver if I had to guess. If you know how to fish it, the bite keeps on going until ice up, and then the pike still bite but it is a lot more difficult.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,605 Posts
Nice report TFB!!! Sounds like a good trip. Don't let those big fish being lost bother you I am sure you will get another shot at a huge pike at the Coach!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hatchmaster- any color worked well, #10 or #11, I forget which. I'm sure either would be fine.
One thing I forgot to mention. We caught a few trout, up to 20" or so, with the smallest being 14". The smallest came on a trolled 3/8 oz white spinnerbait :p The others hit #15 panther martins or the X-rap or bomber long A. The trout have the most orange meat you have ever seen on a trout.....tasty! Heck, the pike even have an orange-tint to their meat because they eat so many crawdads
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Were you fishing the inlets?
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top