Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEADED TO STAGECOACH THIS WEEKEND AND THE FORK IN 3 WEEKS AND I NEED A LITTLE HELP WHAT ARE THE BEST LURES FOR PIKE AT STAGECOACH AND WILLAIMS FORK???

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
the same lures that are good for pike anywhere lol. It's all about location, location, location. You can put about anything infront of a hungry pike and they will hit it...the task is finding them and putting a lure at the depth they are feeding. For williams fork I would concentrate around johnson's bay or the long point by the inlet. For stagecoach I would work the inlet area where weedbeds might be starting to form. Some of those bays on the back side with feeder creeks also hold early season pike. My final suggestions would be to go by the dam. There is this long rock point that extends out from the picknick table that is always worth atleast 2 or three fish for me. Good luck

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
too early for stagecoach. They are spawning right now. Easy to find- impossible to catch. (well, for all intensive purposes, stranger things have happened). The trout are biting great though. Slow stuff right now, if you get lucky you might catch some. Anchovies under bobbers, zoom superflukes rigged weedless and texas style, flyfishing, etc.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I might still give it a shot. It's obvious which fish are or aren't spawing. not every fish in a lake will spawn at the exact same time. some might be shaking their tails while others may have already done so or are preparing to do so.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Had some friends that were at Stagecoach this weekend.
I think it's a little too early too. It was off color due to run off especially the inlet bay. Clearest water was by the dam.
Although they caught fish, it was not the greatest conditions. I think a week or two and it should be ideal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have been on Stagecoach quite a bit, I have caught one small pike, saw a few others, but It is definitly slow now for Pike. Id wait a few weeks, The water temp in the mid to upper 40's. Trout are biting though, Dress warm, that wind sure makes a sunny day, somewhat cold.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Right on, I wish I was going with you. My favorite lure is the 1oz 5 of diamonds or red and white or black and white. when they slam its like a BOMB going off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We did well trolling the usual suspects, spoons, Rapalas, etc. We also did well throwing buzz baits. I hadn't tried them on anything but bass, but I'll be damned if they didn't slam the hell out of 'em. This was during summer however and may not work well now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Williams Fork is open but cold...41-42 in most places we found, but 47 near inlet. We didn't see/catch any pike but rumor was that one small pike was taken recently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANKS GUYS, COLORADO PIKE HAVE BEEN A MYSTERY TO ME FISHED FOR EM QUITE A BIT AND NEVER HAD MUCH LUCK THOUGHT MAYBE I WASN'T THROWING THE RIGHT STUFF. I WOULD APPREICATE ANY MORE TIPS ANYONE MIGHT HAVE ON THESE TO LAKES.
THANKS

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
I've always had good luck at the Fork for pike on a silver/orange kasty. Caught my 17 lber on one. The backs of bays or working it across the points seems to be the ticket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts