Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today was my first day fishing Stagecoach. I landed three bows and had a bunch more hits and fish that came off. I was using the caffeine shad and when it comes to rainbow trout and small lakers, I tend to get a lot of crappy hooksets and short strikes. I wanted to get some pike but it was a good day....I had some short strikes on the yum crawbug as well. I decided to try it because I saw craws everywhere. I just slow trolled all day along the bottom and it seemed to be working well. Today was cold. I wanted to get up early and tube all day but it was below freezing for a while so I slept in and got on the water at like 1130 and fished til 6 or 630. I lost my first fish and it seemed like a bigger one. That's the fishing cliche though, right? I don't really know much about fall pike so I just hung around the inlet all day because I knew it was full of bows. I'm thinking I'll try somewhere else tomorrow.....maybe find some deeper water. I tried some swimbaits and larger stuff to no avail. I think the deepest water I fished today was around ten feet. It's supposed to be warmer tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The big pike keep eating those bows! Looks like a great day on the lake. I had camping reservations there for a trip in late September with the wife but it turned out to be a very rainy and cold weekend so we cancelled the trip. (There went $56 or so on two nights of camping reservations)

You are brave for tubing it. I'll bet the water temp was close to 50 or so. Chilly!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks like a pretty good day, thanks for sharing, nice pictures. You know when fish grow the most? When they get away lol.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why don't you downsize to the Dynamic Trout Attack.
http://dynamiclures.com/shop/lures/trout-attack/
I caught a number of big fish both spring and fall on this lure. No missed fish.
It comes with a 1/16 oz head but I prefer the 1/8th oz.

I could I guess. I'm just a fan of the caffeine shads so I have a bunch. I have used the storm paddle tails in the past. Those would likely work well, too. The little ones...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Nice Whomp.

There are tons of different paddle tails on the market. I don't see a huge difference in one brand to another. Although I have had the most success when using an attractant to mask the tobacco smell from my hands. Most that I've tried work if I have enough patience. Timing, color selection, retrieve and size are the key for all of them. The trick is to put in the time to learn how/when to use them. It seems like you have already....

Continued success!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love Stagecoach. I was up there a couple weekends ago and caught a ton of fatties. Biggest went 22 and 9 lbs. All on streamers or midges. Gonna try this weekend for the pike hope they are cruising the inlet area

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Used to go up there 10 years + ago... in the Fall...
AFTER the campgrounds were closed and water shut off.
Used a piece of raw shrimp on a pink jig as bait.
Got some nice 23 -25" Cuts and Bows that way...

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Used to go up there 10 years + ago... in the Fall...

AFTER the campgrounds were closed and water shut off.

Used a piece of raw shrimp on a pink jig as bait.

Got some nice 23 -25" Cuts and Bows that way...

Yeah I'm sure there are some big bows in there. I can't wait to ice fish it....it's gonna be sweet being able to ski and fish.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Iced it 5/6 years ago. Pretty much stood in ball deep slush the whole time and caught 106 11" MRT. Pretty lake but little far for stockers.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Iced it 5/6 years ago. Pretty much stood in ball deep slush the whole time and caught 106 11" MRT. Pretty lake but little far for stockers.

I'm down to catch stockers if they're decent and giant pike always sound good. Stagecoach did pump out the state record, after all....

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I'm down to catch stockers if they're decent and giant pike always sound good. Stagecoach did pump out the state record, after all....

And our lovely cpw netted and killed a bunch also

1 - 19 of 19 Posts