Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Stagecoach ice?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TroutFishingBear 
#1 ·
Is there still good ice and if so how long does the lake usually last? Thanks fellas......

#3 ·
should be fine but it's gonna be slushy! Fish in the backs of coves right now...especially the inlet area also. Pike and rainbows...good luck

#4 ·
The ice was ok and the slush wasn't too bad, we went on Saturday. TFB I got your advice too late, although we did start by the inlet. It is really shallow in that area and we ended up walking quite a ways out into about 9 feet and fished there for a while. Looking back I should have put my tip ups out but we were just trout fishing there. Caught like 4 small trout and we were getting bored so we moved to the marina bay and caught plenty of trout mostly smaller 12-16 with one a little over 18. Of course the nice one was caught by my bro in law who was kindly watching my rod while I was doing the dirty work setting up tip ups in the shallows lol. Caught 3 pike total, one jigging a genz worm, other 2 on the tip ups with 8" sucker. Pike were 20-22" nothing big but still fun. I love this lake and had probably my best day ice fishing ever earlier this year in January. I am also going for a full week in early June with a boat so that will be fun.

#5 ·
Oh, and all fish caught were released like always. We just go for fun. At the end of the day there were 2 coyotes running on the ice and checking all the holes drilled looking for scraps, I threw them a couple suckers, that was a good time seeing them check all the holes.

#6 ·
yeah when we were there a fox was running around checking our old holes. The rainbows and pike are good eating out of that lake. Next time you go don't hesitate to harvest a few <24" northerns....Their meat has an orange tint actually from all the crawdads they eat, lol. It is good though. 9 feet might actually be a bit deep for those pike if you had to walk out a ways...5 feet off of a shoreline contour or weededge is all you need, especially this time of year near fresh running water (inlets). I think the monsters were probably lurking...Good fishing up there! I'll be up there for a week after memorial day also, so you'll probably see me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.