Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is long overdue but I fished stage coach a lot in the month of september and caught probably 200-300 pike in 3 trips. Most of them were 15-20" but I got 4 over 30" and lost one that was well over 40". They bit well on buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, zoom superflukes, and curly tail grubs. I was wade fishing from the shore. Kept 8 pike total (probably good for the fishery to keep some small ones) in 3 trips and they all were stuffed full of crawdads. I also got some nice 15-16" bows and an 8" brown. Saw a brown of 5 pounds landed one day. Saw a dead bow that had to be 10#. That lake has great trout and pike fishing, can't wait to icefish it!

·
Registered
765 Posts
What part of the lake were you wade fishing? I made 1 trip to SC in late Sept. and did great on trout but I really wanted the pike. I threw everything you mentioned and more at them from the bank and never even got a chaser that I am aware of. The lake was in turnover while I was there. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. I fished the shoreline along the campground side. Sure wished I had a boat. those trout were stuffed with crawfish also. In fact, I opened up one and there were 14 dads in there and several of them were alive and swam off when they hit the water. Every rock along the bank I turned over had multiple dads under it. You wouldn't dare put a worm on the bottom there.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that lake has monster crawdads.
pikester, I probably saw you there. The lake was turning over fairly badly on my last trip as well, but buzzbaits were the ticket. Super flukes also did well. I will not say where I wade fished on the internet.
BTW I forgot to say, I had a large brown trout on on a BUZZBAIT but he jumped and threw the hook near the bank. lol those trout will hit anything.

·
Registered
745 Posts
hey bear, pike and big trout are my favorites too. I tried Stagecoach in the spring but the run off was to heavy from the Yampa but only caught small pike. I spent the majority of the summer at Spinney and Williamsfork with no luck on big pike only small ones. I did catch big cutbow and brownies so it wasn't a total waste. I might want to try to ice fish Stage too... What kind of bait do you use. And also are snowmobiles allowed on the lake? the biggest pike saw were at williamsfork. and i mean big, after the runoff they were staked at the inlet . sometimes they would follow but not bite.they looked like logs in the water. untill the boat spoked them. there is still a slot on them that protect the big ones.thankgod i would rathercatch one bigggone then a bunch of little ones ;)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
never icefished stagecoach but I have the secret spot picked out cuz of a guy my dad works with. It drops from 15-35 feet straight off and the trout suspend there. I use worms or spoons for trout through the ice and a dead anchovie on a quick strike rig on a tipup for pike. Put the tipup for pike just off of the weededge. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts