Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

pike above hit the fluke a dozen or so times before I hooked him and landed him. He wouldn't take, "I missed him" as an excuse. He was I think 26", definitely a nice one. Released.
Kept 4 small 15-21" pike one day

kept 2 pike at around 20" one day

Many pike in this reservoir; this is one ofpeopl the only places in CO I can think of that keeping a decent number of pike is good for the fishery. Don't keep the big ones though
If I would've followed regs I could have kept hundreds there this year. let's hope everyone didn't keep all of them. Hope they didn't go crazy

·
Registered
879 Posts
Great picsand a great place, congadulations. And to think, I use to party right where you were hooking those fish, not where you were standing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have fished Stagecoach several times and always for pike. My lure of choice is a white bass spinner bait with black speckles or a Rainbow rapala suspending about 6" in length. I fish the coves on the south side Watch for the weeds you can loose alot of good lures there. All around the south boat ramp is a good area also.

Bent Rods and Tight Lines!
Grizz

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Nice job Bear! There is nothing wrong with keeping small Pike. You are actually doing the fishery a favor by weeding out some small fish. Pike are excellent eating also!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grizz, you nailed the spots......although I think there are pike all over in there. the pike aren't too picky there, I got em on bucktail and bunny leech dropper combo, curly tail grub, panther martin, buzzbait, spinnerbait, flukes, and some other wierd lures I had in my tacklebox.
neal, I like eating small pike a lot. These pike had almost orange meat from stagecoach since they gorged on so many crawdads. One morning I kept 4 and my dad kept 4, we went to the campsite, filleted them (I filleted them, lol), and then breaded them up and fried them. Very good eating. Then we went out and caught more, course we were full and released them. That place and its number and size of crawdads is ridiculous! I bet the pike hardly ever eat trout in there with so many large crawdads to go around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts