Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband (_colorado) has been on this site for about ten years so I decided it was time for me to make a post.

We spent last weekend in a nice condo in Steamboat and killed some time during the day by fishing at Stagecoach. We started around noon which was after a nice breakfast and sleeping in. We fished close to the road by the inlet.

My husband tied on a jerkbait, showed me how to twitch it then went to rig up a pole for himself. While he was doing that I thought I got snagged on a log or rock. Then it began to move so I told him "I think I got something". He came over, told me to adjust the drag a bit and watched. After a few minutes I got the fish close to shore and both of our jaws dropped when we saw the size of the fish.

It made a few runs but my husband told me how to play the fish. When it got close we realized we didn't have a net. He tried once to land it but it spun away and took drag again. After another minute or so it was back at the edge. This time he used two hands to flip it on shore. When he did he cut his finger on a treble hook sticking out of the pikes back. But we landed the fish!

I couldn't believe I did that! He went and got his tape measure and it was 39" long and fat. You can see his two feet in the picture (size 11.5) and his cute little 18" pike next to mine - ha ha. It was real red too, just like in the pictures. It also had an orange CPW tag on it. I haven't called that in yet but I will. I never thought I'd catch a fish like that while goofing around for a couple of hours. It was so heavy I could hardly lift it. My husband guessed it weighed right at 20 pounds as he caught a 39" pike before.

So my first big pike was a Master Angler so I thought I'd take that for my name (Pikema). Hopefully there will be more posts of big fish in the future.

Oh, I had to ask my husband these questions: why do you need to get to the lake so early when you go fishing? Tell me again why you need a boat? :D

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
That's a beast. Good job. Yes some people might see it as shameful but everyone has their own opinions on what species take precedence, whether or not fish should be culled and so on. If it's legal, it's their prerogative.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
What beast! Congrats! :thumb:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Nice catch and story. Isn't cpw going to poison that lake anyways to eradicate the pike or do I have the wrong res?

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Nice catch and story. Isn't cpw going to poison that lake anyways to eradicate the pike or do I have the wrong res?
Wrong res. But it doesn't matter, the CPW hates pike anyway. They have a new villain to hate there now too, walleyes.

The Coach is likely too popular to poison at this point, not that it would stop them necessarily, but as long as those Magnificent Rainbow Trout continue to put out for the put-n-take powerbaiters, they will likely leave it be.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Wrong res. But it doesn't matter, the CPW hates pike anyway. They have a new villain to hate there now too, walleyes.

The Coach is likely too popular to poison at this point, not that it would stop them necessarily, but as long as those Magnificent Rainbow Trout continue to put out for the put-n-take powerbaiters, they will likely leave it be.
Because who doesn't want to catch a 8inch stocker instead of a 40inch pike
Seems logical.
Cpw and mrts are a pain in my keester

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I hear there are Walleye's in there...
Nice Esox, to say that least...
Great story and catch..
At least it wasn't caught on 'power bait" >:D
What'ya do with the Pike?

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
1) Pikema first off congrats and welcome to the site! That is an amazing first big fish to fool and land on your own!...pretty incredible stuff!

2) the site was better when Donald didnt allow catch and release debates in someones fishing report...many on here have forgotten their angling evolution from the excitement of the first big fish most of us caught and kept...we didnt pop out of the womb with notion of selective harvest in our brains...

3) the DOW will probably kill off lake off any way to remove pike, I for one am glad someone who caught and kept it is stoked about it...

4) those silly trout help fund the majority of tourism dollars of the majority fishing that is done in this state and help pay for the whole fishing shabang in an arid state...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just talked to the CPW guy and he tagged it in 2012 and guessed it was 9-11 years old. He said they are trying to remove all pike and walleye from Stagecoach so I did the right thing by keeping it. My husband filleted it and we have some nice meat in the freezer.

One thing my husband noticed is that I forgot to mention I caught it on 10 pound test line with no leader. He said not many big pike are caught that way.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Wow, bet that was a hoot and a hollar.

If you have not yet filleted it, you might want to consider rolling it in the dirt again. You can still see a lot of fish under the debris.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
yet, i kept 5 pike that by elitist pike nerd standards... should have been released.
What in the **** are you going on about?

If you are going to reply to my comments, please try to have something intelligible to say. smh. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
1)

2) the site was better when Donald didnt allow catch and release debates in someones fishing report...many on here have forgotten their angling evolution from the excitement of the first big fish most of us caught and kept...we didnt pop out of the womb with notion of selective harvest in our brains...
Donald doesn't own the site anymore, and I will gladly take advantage of the situation to chastise someone for killing big fish. It is stupid and selfish behavior. Her old man has always been an unrepentant big pike killer. Makes me sick.

Nice catch lady. You suck for killing it.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
:popcorn:
Pretty much what chuck said... But a tad nicer

DOW wants the pike out of every lake...
Guess what, they stocked them in 95% of the lakes that have them. Hahahahaha pointlaugh

1 - 20 of 53 Posts