Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the trip. As you guys said, the lake is turning over. It is really quite a mess with all the floating algae. Only got a little fishing in on Tuesday before the front came in. Caught one 16.5" rainbow from the north inlet area. From about noon yesterday to 6:00 this morning it was a washout. Made for nice sleeping in the tent with the sound of rain pounding away. Got in about 3 hours of fishing today once conditions improved. Fished the area down from the access parking lot along the north side not too far from the dam. I walked for at least a mile up and down the shoreline throwing every pike lure I could dream up. Despite seeing a couple cruisers I could not entice a strike. I was very disapointed in that. I would rather catch one pike than a limit of trout any day! Either I was in the wrong spot or the turnover scrubbed the pike possibilites. After admitting defeat for the day I sat down on the bank with, I'm embarrased to say, Power Bait. In about 2.5 hours four of us had 9 rainbows that were 15-18." They were real fat and fought hard but nothing like a big pike. the bellies of those fish were gorged with crawfish. In one case I found 18 in one stomach. Several of them were still alive and swam away when they hit the water. But when I used a crawfish for bait, nothing! My 74 year old mother sure had fun catching fish and I had just as much or more fun helping her with it. My kindergarten daughter saved a fish heart that she wants to take to school for show and tell. That's my girl!!! There weren't any trees around the lake so I couldn't take any pics without getting razzed.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Hahah sounds like a great day even if the pike wouldnt help you out. I love that your girl wants to take th fish heart to school, she rules!

·
Banned
26 Posts
Stagecoach was on fire for pike in early september. I killed them on buzzbaits. Even lost a monster. Most of the pike are full of crawdads too. I usually don't keep many pike, but small pike are abundant here and man they taste good eating those crawdaddies.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hey laz, any particular part of the lake i should keep in mind for them pike?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Pike love weed beds or good cover they like to ambush their prey so these are where I would start.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Pikester - Thanks for the report. Give Stagecoach another two weeks or so to settle down after turnover and the pike fishing should be good again. I would assume the month of November will be good, up until Ice up.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
pikester said:
I sat down on the bank with, I'm embarrased to say, Power Bait. 
I would be too(j/k) :) . But hey when all else fails and your hungry I say dunk that Powerbait. My brother and I have a saying, Which means when nothing else is biting than go for trout. "When in doubt, trout it out" (I know, We're stupid)

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Dont fight us,Jay-join us! WWW. powerbaiters anonymous.org!!! Enjoy life to the fullest-replace those gray cloudy fishless days with happy trout!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Hahah When ever I'm fishing with someone and we arent catching anything I always say its time to catch trout. Yes I am a powerbait user :'( Its Colorado's fault too, I've never had powerbait work anywhere else like it does here.

·
Banned
26 Posts
roadkill said:
hey laz, any particular part of the lake i should keep in mind for them pike?
All the shallow weedy bays on the lake from the Marina and campgrounds clear to the inlet. They are all over. A small boat is great to get out beyond the weedlines. But the best lure at Stagecoach is a buzzbait so bring plenty of buzzbaits.

C

·
0 Posts
Somebody help me here because no one seems to want to. Can I get directions to Stagecoach from someone? I'm looking to try new areas. PLEASE HELP! :-\

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
catmann29 said:
Somebody help me here because no one seems to want to.  Can I get directions to Stagecoach from someone?  I'm looking to try new areas. PLEASE HELP!  :-\
Catman, assuming you are coming from the metro area, I-70 west to Silverthorne, Hwy 9 to Kremmling, from there take U.S 40 toward Steamboat. Right about Wolford Res. turn left onto 134 and go over Gore Pass. At Toponas turn right onto 131. Just past the town of Phippsburg turn right onto Rd. 4 and it will take you right to the lake. It's about 180 miles from Thornton.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
this is from the parks website

Directions - from Steamboat Springs, go four miles east on U.S. 40, then south on Colorado 131 for five miles to Routt County Road 14. Drive seven miles south and you will be at the park entrance.

Stagecoach State Park
25500 R County Road 14 (P.O. Box 98)
Oak Creek, CO 80467
(970) 736-2436 (phone)
[email protected] (e-mail)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Dont fight us,Jay-join us! WWW. powerbaiters anonymous.org!!! Enjoy life to the fullest-replace those gray cloudy fishless days with happy trout!

SF. If I don't break this skunk tomorrow I may come over to the darkside.. Its hard for me to fish with powerbait. Id say for the most part im a C&R fisherman. With powerbait the trout always swallow it and die. Ive been thinking about trying PB with a circle hook,,,,,,,Has anyone done this?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

C

·
0 Posts
Big THANK YOU'S and HUG'S for the help! Now I have a new place to try! ;D 8) ::)

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Jay_In_Parker said:
SLAYERFISH said:

SF. If I don't break this skunk tomorrow I may come over to the darkside.. Its hard for me to fish with powerbait. Id say for the most part im a C&R fisherman. With powerbait the trout always swallow it and die. Ive been thinking about trying PB with a circle hook,,,,,,,Has anyone done this?

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]
feel the power of the dark side!

circle hooks and power bait sounds worth a try. if you do i would leave the point exposed so it has a chance to turn and hook the jaw

in the past ive done good fishing garlic floating cheese (before power bait) on tiny trebles size 14-18 on a tight line and holding the rod set the hook at the slightest nibble i miss quite a few but the ones i do hook are mostly in the front of the mouth rarely down deep pinch the barbs and it will be even easyer to release them. the draw back is you gotta hold the rod and pay close attention or they will end up gutt hooking

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think a circle hook could work but you would need one that is light enough that your bait will still float. I was using a size 16 trebble. Even when the hook was swallowed I could be careful with them by keeping them in the water as long as possible and gently using the hook remover. I only killed one of those 10 trout and didn't leave a hook in any of them. I have used larger hooks with power bait in the past but often times the bait ends us sinking.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
even with a quick and clean removal when the hook is down in the soft tissue of the throat mortality goes way up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts