Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Stagecoach Mon morning (8-10) by the inlet. I caught one trout - 13 incher on a floating nightcrauler. Some of the other shore fishermen were doing better then me I saw a guy pull in a big trout. There was this guy fly fishin in a float tube that was killin them. Every time I look at him he was reelin a fish in. The guy next to me told me he was using a some kind of midge e-merger. I guess this fly fishin thing realy works. I will go to Walmart tomorow to see if they have fly fishin stuff.

g

C

·
0 Posts
My friend was there this weekend. He was trying out some Crave jelly stuff. I will let you know how he did.

chooch

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep Gauazoi, I have to agree with Nawanda. A decent setup will run you more money. (A good starter outfit $125 to $200 - and possibly even a little more if you want to go a bit better.) But your experience in the long run will be much better. Take a buddy who knows to a flyshop to help you out. Try several out and pick the one that you like. Fly fishing is the only way to go when the trout have decided that only a certain little bug will do. My biggest trout have come on a size 20-22.

By the way midges are those little flies that kinda look like mosquitoes - but don't bite. They rise out of the mud to the surface where they shuck the old body and become a flying insect. The emerger stage is where they are stuck in the surface film trying to wiggle out of the old body. Emerger patterns are available as midges, maylies, damsel flies. (A VERY GOOD PATTERN TO HAVE IN THE FLYBOX) The trout seem to know that an emerger can't escape and just munches away at them.

·
Registered
636 Posts
gauazoi,
if you buy some fly fishing gear, and you don't to be cussing all the time while untangling your line. Spend around $250. Get a good rod, I recommend a TFO there are about $140 and have a lifetime warranty. You also want a nice line that runs about $50. The reel is not so important so $30 is good. It can get very expensive and addicting so be careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts