Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) ;D ;D ;D ;D 8)
Yep, I have just returned from a week and a half long Pike fishing trip. Started with two days at William?s fork searching for the monster pike, only landed a few dinks, smaller then 15". However I did hook up with some giant bow action, with fish ranging from 2-5lbs, 17-22", I never realized the average size of bows in that body of water. Water temp inside bay 70-72deg, outer lake 68 deg. I did not see any shallow monsters. I would say I just missed post spawn by a week. I threw everything from rapala's original to Charlie Jr. and everything in between. Next stop was to hit Stagecoach. I got there about 1:00pm, threw up camp in the tent area by the little bay and headed for the water. I started to throw some of the basics with no real luck. I moved to one of my home maid lures I use for trout, about a 2-1/4" willow leaf blade spinner. "BAM" it started right here. I caught a little 15" pike, man I was happy to see a pike. I threw again and "BAM" another fish, and yep another little pike. The rest of the day went the same direction. I never left the little bay area. I ended up landing and releasing about 30 pike, size ranging from 15" to about 24".

Next day woke up early jumped onto the pontoon and headed out into the same bay. I graphed the bay found all of the brake and weed lines. I landed about 12 more pike using my same home maid lure, nothing bigger then 20". I figured I did enough damage so I went back to camp for lunch and headed out to the other side of the res. Ended up by the other boat ramp. First cast on that side "BAM" pike on....And the day went the same direction. I unfortunately upset a few people who I could tell were fishing all day with little luck. I would walk up catch a fish and move 20 feet and repeat with another fish and so on and so on. Day totals 25 pike, size range smaller then the day before about 17". Got back to camp around 4:00pm, got some grub and took a little nap.

About an hour later a roar of thunder woke me up. I took a look outside and saw a good storm heading this way. I threw on my waders and went to the bay by camp. I threw for almost 15 minutes with only one bite. I thought that was strange, no dinks at all. I went further and further around the bay and nothing. No action at all. The storm is close, the weather is changing fast. As I watch the people camping next to me coming in from the main lake, "BAM" I have a huge fish on. I must note at this time I decided to go to ultra light gear, I was using 5-1/2' rod with a 1500 series reel, 6lbs braided line, a barbless hook on a home maid lure. I was not anticipating any real bites. So after about 5 minutes of being on the bottom the fish came to the top then I realized I have a real good fish. It took about 10 minutes to land the 35" monster pike. That was one of the best rides I have ever had on ultra light gear. The fish had a clean release. I have caught a lot of big pike but never on ultra light and a home maid barbless lure.

Last day, I went to the bigger bay on the other side. Caught around 33 fish with a ton of 24" pike. That was good to see healthy big fish. As I came back to the parking lot I saw more fish in the second bay I fished so I decided to land and release another 10 pike. At this point you must understand this felt like a dream, it did not feel real to me.
I had some lunch and headed around to the other side of the bay I just caught the 10 pike at. Still using my home maid lures and ultra light gear. First cast, "BAM" another huge fish on but this time the fish goes down and stays down. I had no leverage to move this fish. I tried for about 5 minutes, this fish was HUGE! I knew I was not going to win I unfortunately had to brake him off. Lost the lure so now I am down to 2 of that design. I thought it was just bad luck to have a fish that big on. I retied and "BAM" another huge fish and the same thing happened, went right to the bottom and I could not move him. So I snapped off and lost the lure. Now I only have one lure left. I hiked back to the car to get some bigger gear. I got back to where I lost the last 2 fish to only come up empty handed. And that was the end. This was the single greatest trip of Colorado pike fishing I have ever had.

D

·
0 Posts
Congrats, Pope! That sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing the info.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is my last name and what everyone besides my mother calls me......

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
you are the first person I've ever heard to have pike fishing like that in CO. You must've just hit it exactly right you lucky guy! its too bad they were all dinks except the one 35" though. I hope you kept a couple of those tiny pike for dinner, they are tasty fish.

·
Banned
487 Posts
AWESOME. I will have to hit stagecoach sometime. BTW thank you very much for excercising restraint and releasing most of the pike. Pike are indeed fish fit for kings.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not harvest any fish. I catch and release everything. And I only fish barb less. On that note I had to teach a few people how to correctly use their spreaders. Please bring spreaders when fishing for pike. They are only a few bucks. I bring 2 spreaders, one that is normal and the other I bent in so they do not open to much for smaller fish. You can not remove your hook without one...
Pope

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
That sounds like a great trip. When the pike are on they are on. I have had days like that and it is just a lot of fun. ;D

·
Registered
362 Posts
The reason I ask is that my last name is Pope and everybody but my mother calls me that. Funny, small world. What's your first name if you don't mind me asking? I wonder if we're kin. ;D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow now that is a small world, not to often you hear the last name Pope. My first name is Rob. As far as kin I could not tell you for My Grandparents on my fathers side passed away before I was born. My father is no longer with us either.... But who knows... Cheers Pope

·
Registered
362 Posts
Rob, my name is Randy. I've lived in Denver for about 11 years. I grew up in Mobile Alabama. Moved here when I was 24. Good to meet ya and who knows maybe we can fish together sometime. Take care.

Randy

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Man, Dont you love days like that? Dam I want to catch some pike(s). Naver got one. where is SC?

-Jay

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
pope i was just wondering what part of stagecoach you were fishing when you caught the pike, last year my buddy and me went there in waders with rapala's and dident catch any, there was a little swamp that had some pike in it, i have had luck with tasmanian devils in the past

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pope,

An excellent read, and a great vaca as well! I'm envious, it's a trip you will never forget.

Wonder if my boss will approve another week off from work...... nah oh well, until next time.

Pete

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would say I arrived right after the spawn, I believe they were in post-spawn behavior. Water temp in back bays was 65-68deg and main lake temp. was 64-66 deg. I fished all three of the main bays. First bay is by the marina on the tent camp site side. I fished the other side of the bay by the road. Second, I fished the other smaller boat ramp bay on the other side. I worked both sides of that bay. Last, I fished the other bay on the smaller boat ramp side just a bit down the hiking path. Only fish the north side of that bay. I only used my pontoon once, other then that I fished from shore the rest of the time. I was able to sight fish the majority of the fish. The majority of bites occurred in less then four feet of water. As far as what bait I used, I only got bites on some home maid lures, nothing else would do it. I did use fluorocarbon leader, about 24", at 50lbs test. I used lures in the size range of larger trout lures and not giant pike lures which I would traditionally use. It seemed they preferred smaller bait imitations. Not to uncommon during spring feeding. I would say you will probably not get that lucky on the sight fishing thing now. The fish will begin to move deep but wait until late August. They will be back to feed aggressively again.
Fish out side of the box. I watched this res. get fished hard in the time I was there. So use imitations you would not typically think to use. Dress up your baits with some extras. And fish slow!!!

Nice to meet you Randy. I have lived here my whole life, and I do not know any one else on my fathers side. So who knows? I would always be down for some fishing...

Hope that helps,
Pope

1 - 19 of 19 Posts