Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

stagecoach

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  TroutFishingBear 
#1 ·
me and my brother hit stagecoach around 12:00, we started in the inlet my brother caught a pike then it slowed, so we went to the cove by the marina and we found an awesome spot, we caught over 20 northerns on krocidiles orange was working great till we lost both of ours, then we switched to green, anything was working i talked to a guy in a boat and he was catching um on buzzbaits and spinnerbaits, i throw some topwater no luck, overall awesome day, pike were between 15 to 20 inches nothing huge

we also went threw muddy pass on the way home and we stoped at muddy pass lake, there was rainbows jumping everywhere i tossed a bubble and fly and caught 20 and my brother caught alot on the bottom with powerbait

#5 ·
Nice work, I was there a few weeks ago with unbelievable luck, good to hear it is contagious. Were you fishing the old sunken road bed by the marina? I was able to graph it but I had no luck fishing it. I wonder if they are moving deep again. I don't know if I should make one more trip, or call it good until fall. Nice catch!!!

#6 ·
im not sure about the road bed, i fished a cove by the marina and along the shoreline, i was on shore, you dont need a boat to catch pike there really shallow fish often 5 to 15 feet deep, id give it another shot but its such a far drive, and the price of one gas station in silverthorne was 2.50 for regular gas how insane

#11 ·
Located in the verdant Yampa Valley south of Steamboat Springs, Stagecoach State Park offers visitors a wonderful area to enjoy Colorado's outdoors. The park is centered around a 780-acre reservoir with full-service marina. Learn the fascinating history of mining and logging near Stagecoach while you enjoy an unlimited array of activities, including boating and fishing. The Elk Run Trail and the Wetlands Trail provide great opportunities for nature observation and recreation. The proximity to additional recreation opportunities and the family atmosphere here makes Stagecoach State Park a wonderful vacation destination

Link on Colorado State Parks

http://parks.state.co.us/default.asp?parkID=62&action=park

G
#12 ·
Fished stagecoach on Sat. 16th and had fun with the pike, they are all over that lake. Ended up with 12 pike between me and my wife. Started at 9:00 in the cove next to the boat ramp without luck and then continued around the shore all the way to the dam and caught 5 between me and my wife with plenty of missed hits, they were between 15" and 17". #5 Mepps bucktail spinners w/ red and white blade was the ticket. We got tired of getting waked by the ski boats so we headed to the bays on the south side and did not have any luck so we headed to the inlet . Started on the north side and caught a couple more small ones and then we drifted the south side of the inlet and nailed two 22" pike on a black/blue/purple spinnerbait w/ a plastic crawdad trailer. The first one we caught had a really bad deformed hunch back...Its head was bigger than the other 22" pike but was just as long. We kept him for dinner . We also kept the other 22' incher because the spinner bait hook went through the roof of the mouth and back through the eye. I took pictures of both fish after they were filleted to show how bad the spine was deformed on the hunch back fish...I will try and post tomorrow....I don't know why it was like that. Both of the pike were full of crawdads. I could not believe how big the crawdads were in that lake. We left at 4:00.

Oh, funny story, I heard my wife scream at the back of the boat and she told me she was pulling her lure out of the water and a pike jumped a foot out of the water right at the edge of the boat and attacked her lure.

G
#15 ·
Pike are my favorite fish to eat. My wife does a great job cooking them. You are right though, the half digested crawdads smell horrible. I did not think there was a slot limit at stagecoach. There are so many hammer handle pike at stagecoach that I don't see anything wrong with taking one home for dinner. If we ever catch a big one we will throw it back. We talked to one guy who said he was catching them all morning on crawdads. We fished the weed edges along the bank near the inlet but not at the inlet....we started about half way between the actual inlet and the first bay.

#16 ·
Sounds like I need to hit stagecoach. Numerous, but tiny, pike sound fun. A rarity in colorado is definitely a place with a decent pike population. Sounds like this would be a good place to go get a few 20" eaters though.

#20 ·
A good way to eat pike is to filet them skinless and boneless. The different thing about pike is they have Y bones, which you should take out with pliers. Feel around on the filet and you'll feel the y bones. Cook them in your favorite tampura batter or bread crumbs and you are set!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.