Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all
With the heat lately and politics droning on endlessly. Decided to work in the shop a little in front of the cooler. I have some scrap 304, it's 1 3/4" and 8+ lbs a foot. I plan put bullet point on it and weld a SS eye bolt in the point. I lost an 8 lb weight a chamberlain release plus all the hardware. It hung up on a rock when I was fishing a unfamiliar area. I know all you iron man fishermen out there will LOL, but until you've had 2 shoulder surgeries I will troll for much of my fishing time. I sleep much better a night.�� Anyway I here the stick weights don't hanging up as much as the balls do and they are tougher than the lead and greener, less lead in the lake. What say yee?
CH

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
So what are you using an 8 lb weight for?...obviously I am missing something...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those look really nice!
Thank you dallasdb. They don't really take that long to do. The weight hangs strait down, and the chamberlain release is between the weight and the down rigger cable. They have very little blow back (min drag through the water). They are great for kokes, and lakers. I think the bling helps attract the fish to your baits.
CH.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You obviously have use of a lathe & a tig welder to make such a impressive job.

I have never used down riggers & know next to nothing about them so the following comments may well be totally inappropriate.

I presume the downrigger line is connected to the to the eye on parallel section & the rod line to the eye of the torpedo shaped section via some form of pressure release gizmo incorporating a swivel to prevent line twist.

Would some type of vanes attached possibly be an advantage by causing the line to wobble imparting movement to the lure that the fish may find enticing ?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Pretty nice. Could also make good deep sea fishing jigs. I'd be interested in a few, in different sizes if price was right. 8)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pretty nice. Could also make good deep sea fishing jigs. I'd be interested in a few, in different sizes if price was right. 8)
Hi, not sure about that, they are 1 3/4" solid and weigh 8.1 pounds. Is great for downrigger weights. They have very little blow back so the depth is very acurate while trolling. I got to ask what would you be jigging for with 8 pound jigs:confused:. I really don't want to get in to a business of making these things. I don't mind helping out. What size are you interested in I could let you know what the cost would be. I assume you would need a main line eye and a hook eye wright?
CH

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You obviously have use of a lathe & a tig welder to make such a impressive job.

I have never used down riggers & know next to nothing about them so the following comments may well be totally inappropriate.

I presume the downrigger line is connected to the to the eye on parallel section & the rod line to the eye of the torpedo shaped section via some form of pressure release gizmo incorporating a swivel to prevent line twist.

Would some type of vanes attached possibly be an advantage by causing the line to wobble imparting movement to the lure that the fish may find enticing ?
Hi Bazzanz
Yes I do have a few tools. I have a nice shop on my home property. I am a retired Engineer, so I have lathes, a small CNC mill a manual mill for quick one off items. I seem to tinker a lot almost like another job.
The weights hang from the pointed end eye by the downrigger cable. There is a line release called a chamberlain downrigger line release between the cable and weight. It opens up when a fish is hooked and pulls on the main rod and reel line away? Then you can fight the fish free of the weight. We fish for lake trout and land locked Kokanee salmon at depths between 15 ft and as much as 120 ft.
CH

1 - 15 of 15 Posts