Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm trying to get into a little better shape for summer time. So I am wanting to start walking then start running stairs. The problem is I live on the south end of Colorado Springs. In fact I am further south than the Airport on Powers blvd. Would anyone in this area know where there are some stairs to walk/run for exercise? I have been doing the stairs going into the basement for about the last week and now I am getting very bored.

Thank you
Jim Browning

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
The manitou incline!!! >:D

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ePiC said:
You are really funny aren't you Rick. Apparently you have forgot what shape I'm in. That would kill me before I made it a 100 feet. :) But hey, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
jbrowning said:
ePiC said:
You are really funny aren't you Rick. Apparently you have forgot what shape I'm in. That would kill me before I made it a 100 feet. :) But hey, thanks for the suggestion. :)

Jim
I'd just find a couple story office building close to you and do it...

W

·
0 Posts
You could go the parking garage downtown and run the stairs, there's plenty of them!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Jim, the stadium at Widefield High School is good for starters. I go run on the track sometimes in the evening. It's open to the public to use as long as there isn't an event going on.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Is it still illegal to hike the Manitou incline?

Found this site:
http://www.manitouspringsgov.com/government/projects/incline

that says:

Trespassing on the Incline is still illegal!
The Incline is private property and posted
NO TRESPASSING.
Public access is not allowed!

Though there are numerous sets of photo's people took while hiking it ??

Distance:

2.2 - 4.5 miles
Type:

Rough Loop
Vertical Gain:

1,100 - 2,200 ft
Difficulty:

Strenuous

EDIT: Found this article from March 29, 2011 saying that it is still illegal, but on it's way to becoming legal.

http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/manitou-incline-one-step-closer-to-being-legal/

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is only illegal when you get caught Ricky. :)

Thank Cajun, I will check that place out on my way home tonight.

Thanks
Jim

W

·
0 Posts
RVinson said:
Is it still illegal to hike the Manitou incline?
Techinically yes, but seriously, tons of people do it. On a nice day thousands may do it. I've heard this hype as long as I've lived in the Springs.

I would not hesitate, ever, to do it. I've never heard of anyone getting a trespass ticket. There is not a day that goes by that someone has not climbed the incline.

If you're interested in getting a good time, the key is to not stop and rest. You can slow your roll, but keep going. If it's your first time or you're not in shape, just accept the fact that you will have to stop and rest several times. Any able-bodied person can go do it, you really just need to find your pace.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pete-G said:
I've never heard that running on ground won't get you in shape. Why kill yourself with stairs?
Hi Pete, good question. I guess it is because I have never really been a runner other than when playing a sport (basketball, baseball or tennis). And so I figure if I start out walking up and down stairs I will get more of a workout than just walking on flat ground. Really that is the only reason I thought stairs would help me get a better work out and help get my cardio and legs in shape.

If you have any suggestions, please I am all ears to this subject.

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
jbrowning said:
Pete-G said:
I've never heard that running on ground won't get you in shape. Why kill yourself with stairs?
Hi Pete, good question. I guess it is because I have never really been a runner other than when playing a sport (basketball, baseball or tennis). And so I figure if I start out walking up and down stairs I will get more of a workout than just walking on flat ground. Really that is the only reason I thought stairs would help me get a better work out and help get my cardio and legs in shape.

If you have any suggestions, please I am all ears to this subject.

Thanks
Jim
Well, if you're going to walk, the stairs will be better. You need to make it progressive. More stairs, or faster to keep pushing yourself in your workouts.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Pete, yes my plans are to start by walking and increasing what I'm doing every three to four days. Start out walking say like from the bottom to the top 2 or 3 times. Then increase that by the 3rd day of doing them. Meaning going from the bottom to the top 4 or 5 times. Then increase from there. Maybe after two weeks then try running them once or twice to see how my knees are holding up. I am 48 years so I'm wanting to be careful and not hurt myself. Then start trying to switch things up on the exercising. Maybe try jogging around the track that is there and also add in playing some tennis or something like that. I'm wanting to try and increase my motabolism also. Does this sound ok with you Pete, since it sounds like you know something about this.

Hi TheAngryAngler, yep Red Rocks would be great to do. But I live on the south end of Colorado Springs and it would be tough to go to Red Rocks 3 or 4 times a week. Maybe that would be something to do on the weekends though.

Thanks
Jim

1 - 20 of 41 Posts